• Regular meeting of the Las Vegas Senior Olympics, 1 p.m. on Thursday
July 11 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. All members are asked to attend. State senior Olympics athletes are asked to bring medals.
• Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Owl Hike, 6:30 p.m. dinner with the owl hike starting at 8:15 p.m. on Friday, July 12, meet at the refuge visitors center. Attendees are asked to bring a flashlight or headlamp and to wear hiking shoes. For more information, contact Debbie Pike at 425-3581 ext. 205.
• The Missoula Children’s Theatre is coming to Las Vegas, this summer’s production is Pinocchio. The show will be performed at 7 p.m. on Saturday, July 13 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets may be purchased at the door for $10 for adults, $5 for 12 and younger. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Highlands faculty, staff and students will be admitted free with ID. This year’s MCT residency is jointly sponsored by the Las Vegas Arts Council, Highlands University and Best Western Plus Montezuma Inn and Suites. For information contact Patrick Rucker, 454-9707 or 718-6211 or email@example.com.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The AAUW Midsummer Used Book Sale is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, July 13. There will be a huge selection of all kinds of books — paperbacks, best sellers, children’s books, inspirational works, classics — great reading and information for every possible interest. Also, used CDs, DVDs, and audiotapes will be on sale.The book sale will be held outdoors on University, at U-7, next to the building at Seventh and University.
• The Las Vegas Area Association of Educational Retirees special meeting, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Monday, July 15, at New Mexico Highlands University Teacher Education Center room 204. AARP-NM will present important information on potential changes to Social Security and Medicare. After the presentation, LVAAER will select its delegates to the 2013 NMAER State Convention. For more information, contact Tomás at 575-421-2455.
• Las Vegas Municipal Court will be closed from Wednesday, July 17 through July 19, court will reopen Monday, July 22. Court staff will be attending a judicial conference. If you have any questions, contact municipal court at 425-9403.
• Backyard Adventures, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. from July 22 to July 26, at Our Lady of Sorrows Parish Hall on the Plaza. Price is $50 per child and includes two field trips to National Refuges. Registration is open at the City Museum and refuge. For more information, contact Kristin Hsueh at 426-3204 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsored by the City of Las Vegas Museum in partnership with the Denver Zoo Rio More Program and the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge.
• Las Vegas Arts Council has space available for the People’s Faire that is scheduled for Aug. 17 at Carnegie Library Park. Artists, craftspersons and food vendors are welcome. Applications available online at Las Vegas Arts Council.org or at CCHU and Arts Council Gallery on Bridge Street. For more information, call Janet Remenyik at 454-1307.
• Las Vegas City Schools District summer food program is providing meals at various locations. Breakfast is served from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Sierra Vista Elementary. Lunch is served from noon to 1 p.m. at Lincoln Park Monday through Friday and from 11:30 a.m. to noon on Wednesdays at Carnegie Library. The Las Vegas City School’s program ends July 26. For more information, call 454-5714.