• Robertson High School class of 1981 is having its 30-year class reunion from July 1 to July 3. For more information, call 429-2731.
• The RHS class of 1971 will hold its 40th class reunion on July 1 and 2. It is not too late to register. If you have not been contacted or would like more information, call Annette at 429-1085, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 2011 Fourth of July Fiestas kick-off at 5:30 p.m. on July 1 with a mass and coronation of the fiesta queen at Our Lady of Sorrows Church. Festivities including live music and other entertainment continue to Monday, July 4 at Plaza Park.
• Curves International is offering free memberships and discounts to military personnel, their immediate families and veterans. Beginning July 1, immediate family members of currently deployed Reservists and National Guard from the Las Vegas area community are invited to begin their complimentary 6-month membership. A membership at Curves includes a health assessment and use of all equipment available to our members.Call 426-8194.
• West Las Vegas Class of 1977 graduates and members — let us begin a yearly Fourth of July tradition. Saturday, July 2, let’s meet at the Plaza Hotel at 2 p.m.
• The NMHU Las Vegas Alumni Club and Athletics Club Fiesta Golf Tournament will start at 8:30 a.m. followed by a Fiesta cookout from 6 p.m.-11 p.m. on July 2. All events will be held at Gene Torres Golf Course. Registration for the Golf Tournament is $100 per player, which includes cart, lunch and one ticket for the cookout. Tickets for the Fiesta cookout will be $10/person, $15/couple. Come for raffles and dancing with cowboys. Tickets and registrations go to support scholarships. Call 454-3199 or email alumni@ nmhu.edu to register or for information.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Camel Rock Casino has postponed its fireworks display and all outdoor events until fire danger subsides.
• The Las Vegas Optic will be closed on Monday, July 4 in observance of the Fourth of July holiday. It will reopen for regular business hours on Tuesday, July 5.
• San Miguel County Offices will be closed in observance of the holiday on Monday, July 4 and will reopen on Tuesday, July 5.
• The New Mexico State Police will be conducting Sobriety Checkpoints in San Miguel County through the end of June. The purpose of the Sobriety Checkpoints is to prevent alcohol and drug related crashes. Sobriety Checkpoints also serve as a deterrent against alcohol and drug related crimes, according to state police.
• West Las Vegas Seamless Summer feeding program, available for school age children 18 and younger, started on June 6. Breakfast from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at West Las Vegas High School Monday through Friday. Breakfast from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday to Thursday at Armijo Elementary. For information, call 426-2529.
• The West Las Vegas class of 1965 will hold its 46-year reunion from Aug. 12 to Aug. 14 in Las Vegas. If you are a class member and have not received a letter or been contacted, call Rosita Gonzales Ellis at 429-0887, Della Marquez Gonzales at 429-3869 or Lenore Padilla Ortega at 425-8014 with a mailing address and contact information.
• Vacation Bible School at First Baptist Church, 201 Mountain View Drive from 9 a.m. to noon on July 11 to July 14. Free for children 3 to 12.
• Mora Valley Baptist Church is having Vacation Bible School on from 9 a.m. to noon July 11 to July 15 at their church in Cleveland, N.M. For more information, call Joan Maestas at 575-387-2673.
• Guitarist Carl Bernstein concert at 8:15 p.m. every Tuesday until July 26 at the Dwan Light Sanctuary on the campus of United World College in Montezuma. The performances begin with a brief introduction followed by an hour of music without interruption. He will perform classical guitar repertory, original compositions, jazz and vocal work. There is no charge for the concert series, which is sponsored by the UWC as part of their summer teacher training workshops.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern New Mexico 1st Annual Support the Matches Golf Tournament. Check-in and warm up 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 9 a.m. tee-off on Sunday, July 31 at the Pendaries Golf Club in Rociada, 25 miles north of Las Vegas. Individual contribution $100 and foursomes is $400, includes green fee, cart, prizes, lunch and awards. For more information, call Maggie Romigh at 426-4801 or email her at email@example.com.
• Catholic Daughters of America Empress Court 1796 is sponsoring a $300 Educational Assistance Scholarship for a female student whose parents are registered members of the Immaculate Conception Church. Student must be registered at Highlands or Luna Community College for the 2011 fall semester or currently enrolled at either institution. For more information, contact Sandra Trujillo at 454-8203 or Irene Geoffrion at 425-7666. Scholarship application can be picked up at the I.C. parish office.