• SynergyFest Planning Committee meeting at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 5, at Traveler’s Café in Tapetes de Lana Weaving Center on the Plaza.The 8th annual SynergyFest will be held April 30th. SynergyFest celebrates the potential of a sustainable future for the community surrounding Las Vegas, New Mexico. The committee needs help with all areas: entertainment, logistics, vendors, workshops, publicity and fundraising. For more information, contact Cheryl Zebrowski at 505-718-6932.
• Story Time, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 5 in the children’s area of Carnegie Public Library. This week’s theme is Charlie Brown and Friends with a draw / color a pet with watercolors. All programs are free and open to the public.
• The Western Mora Soil and Water Conservation District a regular board meeting at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 6 at the SWCD Building in Mora.The public is invited to attend the meetings for the Western Mora SWCD without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, handicap or national origin. The agenda is available at the Soil and Water Conservation Office in Mora. For more information, call Dora at 387-2424.
• Picture retakes at Robertson High School are from 10 a.m. to noon on Jan. 6 at the A+ Grill. Packet information is available at the office from Annie. For more information, call Charlene at 454-5770 ext. 212.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The Miss Las Vegas Scholarship Organization is sponsoring a Miss America Pageant Princess Party on Saturday Jan. 15 at La Piedra Grill at the NMHU Golf Course. Girls of all ages are invited. The party will introduce the Princesses to the Miss America Organization and they will get to interact and watch the Miss America Pageant with the local titleholders and the 2011 Miss Las Vegas/Miss San Miguel County Pageant Contestants. Tickets are $30. The ticket includes a princess tiara, princess sash, appetizers and punch, autographs, and a ticket to the Miss Las Vegas / Miss San Miguel County Pageant Feb. 5. R.S.V.P. by calling Philip Ortiz, Executive Director at 505-718-5656 by Friday, Jan. 7.
• Fort Union National Monument, National Park Service announces its monthly “Glimpses of the Past” presentation “The Stars Along the Santa Fe Trail.” The program will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 21 at the CCHP/Santa Fe Trail Interpretive Center, 116 Bridge St. Have you ever gazed at the expansive sea of stars above and wondered what it was you were looking at? Join Ranger Ron Harvey Jr. for an exploration of the Southwestern nighttime sky and discover the stories and wonders that wait for you once the sun goes down. Weather permitting, participants will also have the opportunity to observe a multitude of these evening marvels through a telescope. Warm winter clothing is recommended. The “Glimpses of the Past” series are free in partnership with the Citizens Committee for Historic Preservation. For more information, contact Fort Union National Monument at (505) 425-8025
• Sustainable Las Vegas will be hold its third annual Sustainable Homes Tour (formerly Solar Homes Tour) 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 22. The self-paced tour of four sites features a variety of renewable energy techniques and conservation measures. These examples range from very low- to higher-tech: drying clothes on clotheslines, rainwater catchment, passive solar water and space heating, photovoltaic installations, etc. The tour will begin at 10 am with a free "weatherization" demonstration, at the Las Vegas Arts Council building at 140 Bridge St. The public is invited to come and learn simple ways to save energy dollars in their homes. A map of the tour will be available there. For more information, call Emelie Olson at 454-3920.