• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 23, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “The Missing Mitten Mystery” by Steven Kellogg. Free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The West Las Vegas High School Class of 2003 will be having a 10-year reunion planing meeting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31 at the Rye Lounge. For more information call Francisco Sanchez at 429-4437 or Elizabeth Garcia at 718-9117.
• Registration for Senior Olympics has started. Pick up a registration form at the front desk of the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Registration will continue through the month of January. For more information, contact Denise McElroy at 454-1379 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Looking for Young Country Singers Competition will be held at 4 p.m. on Jan. 26 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Winner will open for the “Matt Mason” concert on Feb. 16. For competition rules and for more information, call 454-3238.
• Fifth Annual Literacy Fair, 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 26 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. All are welcome and invited to help promote reading for all ages by dressing as a character from myths, stories, or legends. For more information, call Janet Remenyik at 454-1307.
• Knights of Columbus #804 Free Throw Contest, registration starts at 11 a.m. and competition takes place from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 27 at the West Las Vegas High School gymnasium. The boys and girls ages 10 to 14. For more information, call Ray Lujan at 429-0532 or Manuel Carrillo at 454-3828.
• Interpretive talk “The Ecology and Status of Lesser Prairie Chickens in New Mexico” with Grant Beauprez, of the New Mexico Game and Fish, 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan, 27 at the Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, located on Highway 281, East of Las Vegas. Seating is limited to 40. All seats will be available on a first- come, first-served basis. For more information, call Jan Arrott at 454-6115
• Las Vegas Senior Olympic Day, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 2 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center.
• Fifth Annual Sustainable Homes Tour in Las Vegas, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 9. A self-guided tour highlights a passive solar residence; photovoltaic arrays, including financing options and a pergola-style mount; a geothermal heating and cooling system; domestic water heating; and energy efficiency measures, including LED lighting. The tour begins at the Arts Council building at 140 Bridge St. For further information, contact Emelie Olson at 454-3920 or email@example.com.