UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Robertson High School Blood Drive, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 23 in Mike Marr Gymnasium. To set-up an appointment or for more information, call Bryanna Duran at 426-6007 or Donna Ortiz at 429-4698.
• Call for writing submissions, the Literacy Council of Northern New Mexico is asking for short story writings to be displayed at the Literacy Fair on Saturday, Jan. 25. Everyone is invited to submit a short story of four letter size pages or less with a size 10 font. All adult, high school, middle school and elementary writers will be recognized. Submissions may be mailed to The Literacy Council, P.O. Box 481, Las Vegas, N.M., 87701. All entries must be received by Wednesday, Jan. 22.
• Literacy Fair, 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 25 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Sponsored by the Literacy Council of Northern New Mexico.
• The Tri-county Farmers Market is continuing through the winter months. You can buy fresh produce and beautiful crafts at our winter location in the Travelers’ Cafe on the Plaza. It will be open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday.
• The Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, a free community service sponsored by the United World College, meets from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, Chavez at Socorro streets. Singers ages 6 to 12 are welcome. The group meets each Wednesday. The fall session will culminate in a December performance. No prior experience necessary. Contact coordinator Kevin Zoernig at 505-699 6624.
• UWC-USA offers free Chinese (Mandarin) classes in Las Vegas — for ages 15 and up. If you are interested in studying beginning Mandarin Chinese and learning about China through language, the class is from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. every Thursday at the Old Town Mission, Chavez Street at Socorro. Free, but an ongoing commitment is necessary. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Sharon.email@example.com or 454-4206.
• Committee for Clean Air, Water, and Earth weekly meetings, 6 p.m. Mondays at Presbyterian Church, 1000 Douglas Ave. The meeting is about fracking and ongoing projects in Las Vegas and San Miguel County. For more information, call 426-1468.
• The Mora/Colfax Head Start Program still has slots available for this school year. Children born before Sept. 1, 2010 are age eligible and also any child who is three years of age. Head Start offers services for children with disabilities and special needs, and other child development services. Applications may be picked up at the Mora/Colfax Head Start Office in Holman. If you have any questions, contact Pauline Espinoza at 575-387-3136.
• West Las Vegas Head Start program is accepting applications for income- eligible 3- and 4-year-old children for the 2013-14 school year. The program has seven classrooms at the West Las Vegas site and is in session from 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. The program also has three classrooms at Los Niños Elementary. Applications may be picked up at West Las Vegas Head Start Early Childhood Center, 2730 Romero Street in Las Vegas or available online at www.wlvheadstart.com. For more information, call 426-2823 or 426-2830.