• Monumental Printstallations, large scale works by students, faculty and visiting artists in the printmaking programs at Syracuse University and New Mexico Highlands University artist reception, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 9 at Burris Hall Gallery. The exhibition runs from Jan. 16 to Feb. 11. The exhibition participants are artists that created montumental scale works by both the Lake Effect Editions in the Comstock Art Facility at Syracuse University Printmaking program and student work from NMHU Printmaking program. All artists represented in the exhibition of large-scale impressions that are larger than their body, hence, monumental.
• Story Time, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 9 in the children’s area of Carnegie Public Library. All programs are free and open to the public.
• Fine Art Print Lecture series, By Dr. Robert Bell on Japanese wood block prints, 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 9 in the Art Viewing room on the second floor of Donnelly Library on the NMHU campus. For more information, call 454-3338.
• Search and Rescue will meet Wednesday, Feb. 9, at 6:00 at the Professional Home Health Care annex, 1931 Seventh Street across from the Forest Service office. New members welcome. Bring a compass and GPS if you have one.
• The next meeting of Sustainable Las Vegas (the local chapter of the New Mexico Solar Energy Association) will be at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 10 at NMHU Donnelly Library, Rm. 325. It will be devoted to a discussion of the new Main Street Grant for a "Farm to Restaurant Program." Lee Einer, who will be spearheading the program, will lead a brainstorming session on how best to adapt this concept to our local community. Regional farmers, local restaurants, food-lovers, health agencies, and any other stakeholders are encouraged to join in this conversation. For further information, phone Emelie Olson at 454-3920.
• The GFWC Las Vegas Women's club will hold its regular monthly meeting at 11:30 a.m on Thursday, Feb. 10, at the Plaza Hotel. For more information, call Linda Cunningham at 425-3007.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Fashion Show, in support of the Salvation Army, 3 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 13, at Ilfeld Ballroom. Tickets available at the Plaza Hotel and the Salvation Army. For more information, call 425-1591, 425-8083 or 425-3591.
• New Mexico Highlands University WinterFest — A Mariachi Valentine’s concert, 7 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 12 at historic Ilfeld Auditorium. Performers include London-bound 2012 Summer Olympic performers: Reynaldo Maestas, New Mexico’s first all-female mariachi - Mariachi Buenaventura and New Mexico’s premier ballet folklorico - Baila Baila from Albuquerque. For tickets and more information, call 454-3238.
• Art from the Heart, folk art exhibit, opening reception from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Feb. 12, at the Las Vegas Art Council Gallery at 140 Bridge Street. For more information, call 425-1085.