• The Tecolote Land Grant Board of Trustees regular meeting will be held at 9:15 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 4, at the Tecolote Community Center. Fore more information, call Joe I. Herrera at 575-427-1141.
• Congressman Ben Ray Luján of New Mexico’s Third District will hold open office hours from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 4 at his district office in Las Vegas (NMHU’s Purchasing Building). Luján and his staff will be available to meet with constituents to assist them with casework and discuss issues of concern. Meetings will be on a first-come, first-served basis, and if there is a wait they will be limited to five minutes in order to accommodate more constituents.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Barter Hours will have an introductory discussion starting at 9 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 10, at Mary Ann's Famous Burritos. Anyone interested in finding out about the Barter Hours Organization is welcome. Also, come to share your ideas about how bartering can benefit the community. Call Dianne Lindsay 426-1468 for questions.
• Mora County Pre-Primary Democratic Convention, 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 11, at the VFW Post 1131 in Mora. Open to all registered Democrats. For more information, call Paula Garcia at 575-387-5228 or Duane Martinez at 505-699-2491.
• Sweetheart Dance: Stepping Back in Time, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 11, at NMHU’s Sala de Madrid. Theme is around the 1920s to 1940s featuring the live band “The Smooth Riders.” Friends of the Museum will hold their raffle drawing at the same time. Free and open to the public. For more information, call the city of Las Vegas museum at 426-3204.
• NMHU Wearable Art Show — New Mexico Skies, 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 11 at the NMHU Student Center Ballroom. Tickets are $10 single and $15 for a couple and the night of the event are $15 student and $20 for the public. This is a benefit fundraiser for the NMHU Crossroads Art Club Tickets available at Traveler’s Cafe and NMHU Burris Hall.
• The Eagles is having an Indoor Swap Meet/Arts and Crafts Fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 11, 211 South Grand. Table Rental available, contact Sandra 429-8937 for more information.
• The Eagles is having a dance from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 11. Also a College Dance from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. Cost is $3 per person or $5 a couple. For more information contact Sandra 429-8937.
• Catholic Daughters Court #1796 (Immaculate Conception Church) is sponsoring the 2012 Education Contest, open to Catholic and non-Catholic students in grades 4 through 12 and Catholic Daughter members. The themes are: “Planting Seeds of Faith” or “Inspiring Others to Grow.” Monetary awards will be given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place entries in each division and category at the local, state and national level. Top winners will advance to state competition and state winners to nationals. Deadline is Feb. 15. Go by I.C. parish at 813 Sixth St. Call 454-8203.
• Health Fair and Women’s Expo, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 16 at the Night Owl, sponsored by Alta Vista Regional Hospital. Speaker Lisa Smartt will speak on “Embracing Failure on the Road to Success.” Call 426-3772.
• Selected art works by Antonio Madera will be exhibited in the Ray Drew Gallery until Feb. 17. For more information, contact Bob Read at 454-3338.
• Donnelly Library Civil War Reading Group, 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 23, March 22 and April 26 at the library. For more information, stop by the library on the NMHU campus or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Looking to show off your talent? You can sing, dance, or play an instrument at the 18th Annual Fiesta de la Hispanidad on Friday, March 9 in Ilfeld Auditorium. Call Sara Harris at 454-0438. Deadline Friday, Feb. 24.
• Empty Bowls Luncheon starting at 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 25 at the Methodist Church Soup Kitchen, 715 National Ave at Eighth St. The Empty Bowls Luncheon is an opportunity to enjoy good food and entertainment with the Las Vegas community. Choose a handmade bowl crafted and donated by your neighbors and friends, enjoy a meal, and take the bowl home. UWC students and community members will provide entertainment. Proceeds from the luncheon will benefit the Las Vegas Soup Kitchen and Casa de Samaritan Shelter. Purchase a handmade bowl filled with soup,with bread, dessert and a beverage for $20. Tickets for children 12 and under are $10. Contact Sharon Seto at 454-4206 or Jane Warsaw at 425-3120.
• Museum Cafe Series - popular lecturer for The Santa Fe Opera Oliver Prezant on “Discovering Opera in the Wild West,” at 10 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 25 at the local museum on Grand Avenue. He will talk about the opera and how it came to Northern New Mexico. Free and open to the public. Call 426-3204.
• Creative Children’s Workshop — Ready Set ... Opera! The event will allow children and families to learn about plot, character and music. Workshop starts at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 25 at the museum. All participants will help create an opera that is uniquely Las Vegas. Pre-registration is required for this workshop. The program is free and open to children 7 and older and requires a parent or guardian, 21 and older, to accompany them. Space is limited. Call Kristin Hsueh at 426-3204 or e-mail at email@example.com.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern New Mexico is raffling a red 2010 Chevrolet Camaro with black leather seats and Pirelli tires. Tickets are $100 each, and 500 tickets will be sold. To buy a ticket, call 426-8510 or 426-7594.