• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 27 in the children’s area of the pubic library. This week’s book is “Diego’s Arctic Rescue” adapted by Erica David. Free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The AAUW annual Used Book Sale is Friday and Saturday, March 1 and 2. There is a huge selection of all kinds of books — paperbacks, best sellers, classics, for every possible interest. Children’s and young adult books are specially priced, with some free educational materials for home-schooled kids. Some used CDs, DVDs, and audio books are also available. Paperbacks are 50 cents and hardcover books are a dollar, along with bargain books at a buck a bag. The book sale is held as in the NMHU Student Center lobby, from noon to 6 p.m. on Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday. Funds raised go to support scholarships for NMHU women.
• Thomas Mishler Scholarship Recital, 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 3 in the Margaret Kennedy Alumni Hall, 905 University Ave. The program includes vocal performances of classical and musical favorites, as well as guitar, percussion and euphonium instrumental performances. The recital is free; however, donations are appreciated and proceeds will benefit the scholarship fund.
• Free tax return preparation is available for low- and middle-income persons and seniors. The service is being offered by AARP Tax-Aide at Highlands University Student Center, 903 Baca St. You do not have to be a senior or a member of AARP to receive the help. Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesdays, through April 12. Call 505-652-4106 for an appointment. Walk-ins also welcome. Bring all your documents.
• Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, corner of Chavez and Socorro Street. Coordinated by United World College with UWC faculty member Kevin Zoernig. Learn music and sing songs from many cultures. For more information, call 505-699-6624.
• Registration for Senior Olympics has started. Pick up a registration form at the front desk of the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Contact Denise McElroy at 454-1379 or email@example.com.
• Arts and Crafts Fair to benefit Ethan Abreu and Alicia Baca for their educational trip to France and Spain. The fair takes place on March 16 and is $30 a booth. Deadline is Feb. 28. No food vendors allowed. For more information, contact Julie Santistevan at 505-652-8822 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Basketball tournament, March 16, co-ed teams of three. Deadline is March 1 and is $100 a team. For more information, call Antoinette Abreu at 505-617-3608 or Julie Santistevan at 505-652-8822. The tourney will benefit Ethan Abreu and Alicia Baca’s educational trip.
• Interpretive talk, “Wildlife displacement: a case study in Kenya, Africa” with Leann Wilkins, Manager, Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge, 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 17 at Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, located on Highway 281, east of Las Vegas. A discussion of human-wildlife conflict and migration corridors of large mammals. Seating is limited to 40. All seats will be available on a first come first serve basis. For more information call Jan Arrott at 454-6115.