• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 20 in the children’s area of the pubic library. This week’s book is “Bear in Sunshine/Oso bajo el sol” by Stella Blackstone and Debbie Harter. Free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The 19th Annual Fiesta de la Hispanidad is looking for participants who wish to share their singing, dancing and musical talents at the show scheduled for Saturday, March 23. Space is limited to 13 participants this year. Deadline to sign-up is March 8. For questions or to sign-up, call Sara Harris at 454-0438.
• Eleven-sees at the Museum, Tecolote Pueblo, 11 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 23 at the City of Las Vegas museum. Speaker is Bob Mishler, emeritus associate professor of anthropology at New Mexico Highlands University. Who were these people? When did they arrive? Where did they go? What bought them here? How did they live? Find possible answers to these and other questions about our early Tecolote neighbors. Join us for a morning of intrigue and exploration as we delve into this local mystery. This program is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Kristin Hsueh, Museum Educator, at email@example.com or call at 426-3204.
• Free tax return preparation is available for low- and middle-income persons and seniors. The service is being offered by AARP Tax-Aide at Highlands University Student Center, 903 Baca St. You do not have to be a senior or a member of AARP to receive the help. Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesdays, through April 12. Call 505-652-4106 for an appointment. Walk-ins also welcome. Bring all your documents.
• The “Ban Fracking” Art Show and Poster Contest is showing until Feb. 26 at Traveler’s Café. Come view artwork from local children and adults on banning fracking in San Miguel County. Hours: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.
• Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, corner of Chavez and Socorro Street. Coordinated by United World College with UWC faculty member Kevin Zoernig. Learn music and sing songs from many cultures. For more information, call 505-699-6624.
• Registration for Senior Olympics has started. Pick up a registration form at the front desk of the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. Contact Denise McElroy at 454-1379 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Benefit Volleyball Tournament to benefit an educational trip for Ethan Abreu and Alicia Baca, co-ed and is $100 a team. Takes place on March 2. For more information, contact Antoinette Abreu at 505-617-3608 or Julie Santistevan at 505-652-8822. Deadline is Feb. 22.
• Arts and Crafts Fair to benefit Ethan Abreu and Alicia Baca for their educational trip to France and Spain. The fair takes place on March 16 and is $30 a booth. Deadline is Feb. 28. No food vendors allowed. For more information, contact Julie Santistevan at 505-652-8822 or email@example.com.
• Basketball tournament, March 16, co-ed teams of three. Deadline is March 1 and is $100 a team. For more information, call Antoinette Abreu at 505-617-3608 or Julie Santistevan at 505-652-8822. The tourney will benefit Ethan Abreu and Alicia Baca’s educational trip to France and Spain this summer.