• Barter Hours introductory and new member orientation meeting, 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec 9, at Traveler's Café on the Plaza. For more information, call 426-1468.
• Tierra y Montes Soil and Conservation District monthly board meeting, 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 9, at Luna Community College. For more information, call 425-9088.
• The Survivors of Victims of Homicide group will be lining up for its candle light vigil, in front of the Las Vegas Peace and Justice Building,719 Sixth Street. Participants will meet at 4:30 p.m., Friday, Dec. 9, and the walk will start at 5 p.m. The group will walk to the Plaza Park and a potluck will follow at the parish hall. For more information, call Helen at 429-1608.
• Cineflix at Ilfeld Auditorium, feature movie is “Cowboys & Aliens” showing at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 9, at the auditorium. The movie Rated PG-13. Free admission and a concession stand will be available.
• Las Vegas Peace and Justice Center “Baskets for Peace,” 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at El Fidel Restaurant. For more information, call 425-3840 or email LVPeaceCenter@desertgate.com.
• Christmas Craft Fair, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at 2810 Hot Springs Blvd. For more information, call Crystal at 454-1853.
• Gingerbread Cookie Decorating Contest and Bizcochito Baking Contest, 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at Travelers Cafe. For contest entry forms and more information, call 425-8631.
• The Women's Auxiliary of the Fraternal Order of Eagles Arts and Crafts Fair from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Eagles 211 S. Grand. For more information, call Sandra 429-8937
• The Women's Auxiliary of the Fraternal Order of Eagles Benefit Dance will be from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Eagles, 211 S. Grand. For more information, call Sandra at 429-8937.
• Cancer Assistance and Support Fundraiser, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the CCHP building at 116 Bridge St. Great selection of beads to create necklaces, bracelets, earrings and other items. The proceeds from this event will help cancer patients in the Las Vegas area and will be distributed through the Cancer Institute Foundation of New Mexico. For more information, call Carol at 425-9757.
• Luna Community College Holiday Fair, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Rough Rider Grill (LCC Cafeteria), The LCC Holiday Fair will feature vendors and is a great venue for last-minute shoppers. A variety of items will be sold, including handmade jewelry, baked goods, homemade arts and crafts, Christmas wreaths and ornaments, purses and homemade blankets. For information on the LCC Holiday Fair, call Melissa Lopez at 454-5357.
• Casa de Cultura 4th Annual “Mariachi Christmas,” 1 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 11, at Memorial Middle School. Featuring 21st Century Mariachi Cardenal Infantil, Mariachi Cardenal Juvenil, Mariachi Cardenal, Mariachi Paisano del Valle and Ballet Folklorico Arco Iris Fantastico. Tickets $7 adults, $5 seniors and children 12 and under. For more information, call 454-6771.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• 2nd Annual Light Parade and House Lighting Contest in Anton Chico by Renewing the Spirit of Anton Chico. House lighting contest at 6 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16. Oremos at 3 p.m. and light parade at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17 with a guest appearance by Santa Claus immediately after at the school. For more information, call Naiomi Garcia at 505-507-4515.
• 112th Annual Christmas Bird Count sponsored by the National Audubon Society and organized locally by the Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17. For more information, contact Chris and Cassidy Ruge at 425-2757 or email@example.com.
• The Las Vegas Elks Lodge #408 annual Hoop Shoot Competition, 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17, at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. The national freethrow shooting contest for boys and girls ages eight through 13 Each contestant has 25 shots at the hoop. The boy and girl in each age group with the best scores advance through four tiers of competition to qualify for the national finals at Springfield Mass. For more information, call Phil Leger at 429-0401.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern New Mexico is raffling a red 2010 Chevrolet Camaro with black leather seats and Pirelli tires. Tickets are $100 each, and only 500 tickets will be sold. All funds raised will go to support BBBS programs for children in San Miguel and Mora counties. To buy a ticket, call 426-8510 or 426-7594.
• Holiday Pecan Sale by the Greater Las Vegas Lions Club is once again underway to raise funds to help qualified residents of San Miguel County pay for eye exams and glasses. See the full selection at Shoes ‘n Boots on Seventh Street near Mills through December. Prices begin at $3.Call 454-8095 for dates of special one-day sales locations around town.