• The San Miguel County Commission will hold a special meeting at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, in its chambers on the second floor of the old county courthouse, 500 W. National Ave. The meeting will be to present the findings of the recently completed assessment of the San Miguel County economy by the University of new Mexico’s Bureau of Business and Economic Research. Jeffrey Mitchell, a senior research scientist at the bureau, will present the findings of the assessment in a 40-minute presentation. The presentation will look at the historical strengths and weaknesses of the local economy, existing economic conditions, challenges for county economic development and opportunities and recommendations to renew growth. For more information, call the county manager’s office at 425-9333.
• Story Time will be at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, at Carnegie Library. The theme will be “17 Days ‘Til Christmas.” The book will be “Twelve Days of Christmas” by Rachel Griffin. The craft will be a Christmas bear tree ornament. Bring a small photo.
• Search and Rescue will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, at the Professional Home Health Care annex, 1931 Seventh St. in Las Vegas. This is across the street from the Forest Service office.
• The Survivors of Victims of Homicide group will be lining up for its eighth year for a candlelight vigil in front of the Las Vegas Peace and Justice Building, 719 Sixth St. Participants will meet at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, and the walk will start at 5 p.m. The group will walk to Plaza Park, and a potluck will follow at the parish hall. For more information, call Helen at 429-1608.
• The Gingerbread House/Bizcochito baking contest will take place this year from 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, in the lobby of El Fidel Hotel.
• El Zócalo, Los Artesanos de Las Vegas, celebrates the holiday season at Second Saturday on Saturday, Dec. 11. The gallery’s theme for the month is “Fire and Ice,” which ties into the artwork of Alex Ellis, artist of the month. Ellis will talk about his works in encaustic painting, metalwork, prints, and jewelry at 2 p.m. at the gallery, 212 Plaza. A festive holiday reception will follow the talk.
• An arts and crafts Christmas fair will be held from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at the American Legion on Collins Drive. For more information, call 425-9545.
• Samaritan House will be the recipient of a fundraiser at Tome on the Range on Saturday, Dec. 11, and Sunday, Dec. 12. A portion of sales will be donated to assist in the food distribution program, Casa de Samaritan Shelter and Community Transitional Housing.
• Photos of pets will be taken with Santa Claus between 1 and 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at Bill Scheid's Enchantment Ford in Las Vegas. (Cats and dogs only.) This is a fundraiser for the Animal Welfare Coalition of Northeastern New Mexico; the group is asking for a suggested donation of $10 per photo. The coalition will have kittens available for adoption.
• Art Essentials will hold its last art show for the holiday season from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at Eighth and Washington streets.
• The Sheridan Volunteers Fire Department will sponsor an indoor flea market from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at the Sheridan Fire Station in Romeroville, next to the Phillips 66 gas station. Vendor spaces are available for $5 a space. Call 454-1455 to reserve space. The proceeds will go the fire station.
• Author Sharon Niederman will hold a book-signing at 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 12, at Tome on the Range bookstore, 158 Bridge St. She takes readers on a tour of ranches, cafes, festivals, home kitchens and farmers markets in “New Mexico’s Tasty Traditions: Recollections, Recipes and Photos.” For more information, call 454-9944.
• The third annual Maricach Christmas will be 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 12, at Highlands University’s Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for Highlands students with valid IDs and children 10 and younger. Casa de Cultura is organizing the concert in collaboration with Highlands. Tickets are available at Highlands KEDP radio station, Studio 103, Sena’s Music, Love Music, Tapetes de Lana (Travelers Cafe) Robertson High School, Memorial Middle School and Los Niños Elementary. For more information, call Casa de Cultura at 454-6771. The proceeds will benefit local student music programs.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Story Time will be at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 15, at Carnegie Library. The theme will be “Here comes Santa Claus.” The book and music will be “Twas the Night Before Christmas” by Clement Moore. The craft will be a holly wreath.