• The Veterans of Foreigns Wars Post 1547 will hold a special meeting for election of all officers at 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 7, at the post. Members are urged to attend.
• The San Miguel County Commission will hold a special meeting at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, in its chambers on the second floor of the old county courthouse, 500 W. National Ave. The meeting will be to present the findings of the recently completed assessment of the San Miguel County economy by the University of new Mexico’s Bureau of Business and Economic Research. Jeffrey Mitchell, a senior research scientist at the bureau, will present the findings of the assessment in a 40-minute presentation. The presentation will look at the historical strengths and weaknesses of the local economy, existing economic conditions, challenges for county economic development and opportunities and recommendations to renew growth. For more information, call the county manager’s office at 425-9333.
• Story Time will be at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, at Carnegie Library. The theme will be “17 Days ‘Til Christmas.” The book will be “Twelve Days of Christmas” by Rachel Griffin. The craft will be a Christmas bear tree ornament. Bring a small photo.
• Search and Rescue will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, at the Professional Home Health Care annex, 1931 Seventh St.
• The Survivors of Victims of Homicide group will be lining up for its eighth year for a candlelight vigil in front of the Las Vegas Peace and Justice Building, 719 Sixth St. Participants will meet at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8, and the walk will start at 5 p.m. The group will walk to Plaza Park, and a potluck will follow at the parish hall. For more information, call Helen at 429-1608.
• The Gingerbread House/Biscochito baking contest will take place this year from 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, in the lobby of El Fidel Hotel.
• El Zócalo, Los Artesanos de Las Vegas, celebrates the holiday season at Second Saturday on Saturday, Dec. 11. The gallery’s theme for the month is “Fire and Ice,” which ties into the artwork of Alex Ellis, artist of the month. Ellis will talk about his works in encaustic painting, metalwork, prints, and jewelry at 2 p.m. at the gallery, 212 Plaza. A festive holiday reception will follow the talk.
• An arts and crafts Christmas fair will be held from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at the American Legion on Collins Drive. For more information, call 425-9545.
• Samaritan House will be the recipient of a fund raiser at Tome on the Range on Saturday, Dec. 11, and Sunday, Dec. 12. A portion of sales will be donated to assist in the food distribution program, Samaritan House and Community Transitional Housing.
• Photos of pets will be taken with Santa Claus between 1 and 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at Bill Scheid’s Enchantment Ford in Las Vegas. (Cats and dogs only.) This is a fundraiser for the Animal Welfare Coalition of Northeastern New Mexico; the group is asking for a suggested donation of $10 per photo.