UPCOMING & ONGOING
• First planning meeting for the 9th annual SynergyFest, 5:15 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at the NMHU Donnelly Library, Room 325. For more information, call Cheryl Zebrowski at 718-6932.
• The New Mexico Highlands University Office of Research and Sponsored Projects and Thomas C. Donnelly Library are sponsoring “Preserving Your Historical Records: An Archival Holdings Maintenance Workshop” from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 8, in Margaret Kennedy Alumni Hall, 905 University Ave. The cost is $50. For more information and to register, go to http://tinyurl.com/nmhighlands or call Cheryl Zebrowski at 454-3255.
• Barter Hours introductory and new member orientation meeting, 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec 9 at Traveler's Café on the Plaza. For more information, call 426-1468
• The Women's Auxiliary of the Fraternal Order of Eagles Arts and Crafts Fair from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Eagles 211 S. Grand. For more information, call Sandra 429-8937
• The Women's Auxiliary of the Fraternal Order of Eagles Benefit Dance will be from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Eagles, 211 S. Grand. For more information, call Sandra at 429-8937.
• Cancer Assistance and Support Fundraiser, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the CCHP building at 116 Bridge St. Great selection of beads to create necklaces, bracelets, earrings and other items. The proceeds from this event will help cancer patients in the Las Vegas area and will be distributed through the Cancer Institute Foundation of New Mexico. For more information, call Carol at 425-9757.
• Luna Community College Holiday Fair, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Rough Rider Grill (LCC Cafeteria), The LCC Holiday Fair will feature vendors and is a great venue for last-minute shoppers. A variety of items will be sold, including handmade jewelry, baked goods, homemade arts and crafts, Christmas wreaths and ornaments, purses and homemade blankets. LCC is taking vendor applications until Monday, Dec. 5. For application information on the LCC Holiday Fair, call Melissa Lopez at 454-5357.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern New Mexico is raffling a red 2010 Chevrolet Camaro with black leather seats and Pirelli tires. Tickets are $100 each, and only 500 tickets will be sold. All funds raised will go to support BBBS programs for children in San Miguel and Mora counties. To buy a ticket, call 426-8510 or 426-7594.
• Christmas Craft Fair, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10 at 2810 Hot Springs Blvd. For more information, call Crystal at 454-1853.
• 112th Annual Christmas Bird Count sponsored by the National Audubon Society and organized locally by the Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17. For more information, contact Chris and Cassidy Ruge at 425-2757 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Holiday Pecan Sale by the Greater Las Vegas Lions Club is once again underway to raise funds to help qualified residents of San Miguel County pay for eye exams and glasses. See the full selection at Shoes ‘n Boots on Seventh Street near Mills through December. Prices begin at $3.Call 454-8095 for dates of special one-day sales locations around town.
• The Las Vegas Elks Lodge #408 annual Hoop Shoot Competition, 1 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 18, at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. The national freethrow shooting contest for boys and girls ages eight through 13 Each contestant has 25 shots at the hoop. The boy and girl in each age group with the best scores advance through four tiers of competition to qualify for the national finals at Springfield Mass. For more information, call Phil Leger at 429-0401.