• The San Miguel County Safe-Ride-Home Service will be extending its hours of operation during the holiday season. Additional days of operation started Monday through Saturday, Dec. 31 from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Service will still operate Friday and Saturday nights from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Services are provided from any liquor establishment to your home in the Las Vegas area. Call 429-0336 for a ride.
• Annual Polar Bear Plunge, noon on Tuesday, Jan. 1 at Storrie Lake State Park.
• San Miguel County offices will be closed on Tuesday, Jan. 1 in observance of the New Year’s Holiday. Offices will re-open on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
• The Las Vegas Optic office will be closed on Tuesday, Jan. 1. The offices will re-open at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 2, in the children’s area of the public library. Free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Lions Club 6th Annual Holiday Pecan Sale is under way to fund eye exams and glasses for in-need residents of San Miguel County. Currently, there is a 25 percent closeout sale until gone. New crop pecans are available at Shoes ‘n Boots, 1606 Seventh St. They have roasted, chocolate coated, cinnamon glazed, caramel clusters, toffee glazed pecans and pecan logs, roasted cashews, giant plain pecans and English walnuts. Prices begin at $3 for pecan logs to $24 for a grande seven-variety tin. Call 454-8095 for information or delivery.
• Habitat for Humanity and Knutson Construction Co. Work Days, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 12 and Jan. 26 at 302 Union Street. No experience necessary. Volunteers are asked to bring gloves. For more information, call 454-4434.
• Looking for Young Country Singers Competition will be held at 4 p.m. on Jan. 26 at Ilfeld Auditorium. Winner will open for the “Matt Mason” concert on Feb. 16. For competition rules and for more information, visit KEDP radio station, 901 University Ave. or call 454-3238.
• Princess Winter Wednesday, hands-on creative art, cooking and altered doll-making workshop designed with the interest and maturity of girls ages 7 to 11 is about to start for girls who love princesses, dress-up, tea parties and creating art. Taught by local artist in her home studio on Wednesdays. Contact Bambi Doe Blake at 425-2684.