• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 21, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s books are “Rudolph Shines Again” by Robert L. May and “All I Want for Christmas / Lo unico que quiero para Navidad” by Rebecca Gomez. The theme for the month is “It’s Christmas Time in Las Vegas.” All programs are free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Hershel and The Hanukkah Goblins a play by Mary Byers and story by Eric Kimmel will be performed at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 22, at the Newman Center, Eighth Street and Columbia Ave. Free and open to the public.
• Winter Solistice Seasonal Observation, 6:45 p.m. eight treasures exercise, 8 p.m. ceremony for the renewal of body, mind and spirit, followed by a pot luck on Thursday, Dec. 22. For location and other information, call Jody or Peter Stege at 454-1386 or 454-0003.
• The city of Las Vegas Solid Waste Transfer station will close at noon on Friday, Dec. 23, and will reopen on Tuesday, Dec. 27, for the Christmas holiday. There will not by a trash pick-up on Saturday or Monday. For more information, call 426-3217.
• The Las Vegas Optic offices will be closed from Dec. 24 to Dec. 26 and reopen for regular business hours on Tuesday, Dec. 27.
• The San Miguel County Safe-Ride-Home Service will be extending its hours of operation. Additional days of operation will include Monday, Dec. 26, through Saturday, Dec. 31, from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. However, on New Year’s Eve service hours will operate from 6 p.m. to 2:30 am. Services are provided from any liquor establishment to your home. For a ride call, 429-0336.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern New Mexico is raffling a red 2010 Chevrolet Camaro with black leather seats and Pirelli tires. Tickets are $100 each, and only 500 tickets will be sold. To buy a ticket, call 426-8510 or 426-7594.
• Holiday Pecan Sale by the Greater Las Vegas Lions Club is once again underway to raise funds to help qualified residents of San Miguel County pay for eye exams and glasses. See the full selection at Shoes ‘n Boots on Seventh Street near Mills through December. Prices begin at $3.Call 454-8095 for dates of special one-day sales locations around town.