• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 4, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Big Snow” by Jonathan Bean. Free and open to the public.
•El Creston Mutual Domestic Water Consumer’s Association Board of Directors’ Meeting, 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, 49 Mirasol- Ojitos Frios Ranches. Open meetings; all are welcome to attend.
• Meadow City Camera Club has an exhibit of photographs in the El Fidel Restaurant until Friday, Dec. 6. Eight local photographers have taken “Points of Departure,” each seeing something unique.
• Las Vegas CCHP annual Holiday Home Tour, 5 p.m. 9 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 6. Visit homes in their holiday finery and be entertained by carolers. Tickets are $10 each and can be purchased at LVCCHP office, 116 Bridge St. Call 425-8803 for further information.
• Call for Artists: Robertson Track Presents its Second Annual Arts and Crafts “Winter Wonderland” Festival, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7. For more information, call 505-903-3611.
• Annual Holiday Musical at the city of Las Vegas Museum, 11 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7 at the museum at 727 Grand Ave. Join in song with the West Las Vegas High School choir under the direction of Mary Petrak and Ann Mishler on the Duncan Opera House square grand piano. Refreshments will be served.
• Chester Nez, the last of the original 29 Navajo code talkers, will be here in Las Vegas at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7, at the Plaza Hotel Ballroom. He will answer questions about his experiences in World War II and his role in developing the code that was instrumental in defeating the Japanese in the South Pacific. Judith Avila, co-author of his memoir, will also give a presentation.
• Annual Christmas Fair, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 at Sala de Madrid on the Highlands campus. Booth cost is $25 per day and space is limited. The fair is a benefit for the Lorenzo Miguel Memorial Scholarship Fun. For more information, contact Inez Gallegos-Lujan at email@example.com or by telephone at 425-9746 or 505-617-6943.
• Arts and Crafts Christmas Fair, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 14 at the American Legion Hall on Collins Drive. For more information, call Rose Salazar at 425-9545.
• Lions Club Seventh Annual Holiday Pecan Sale is under way to fund eye exams and glasses for in-need residents of San Miguel County. The large, new crop pecans, available at Shoes ‘n Boots, 1606 Seventh St., where roasted, chocolate coated, cinnamon glazed, caramel clusters, toffee glazed pecans and pecan logs, roasted cashews, giant plain pecans and English walnuts will be available. Prices begin at $3 for pecan logs, $8 for foil gift bags, to $24 for a Grande 7-variety tin. Call 454-1073 for information or delivery.
• The Las Vegas Children’s Chorus, a free community service sponsored by the United World College, meets from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Old Mission Church, Chavez at Socorro streets. Singers ages 6 to 12 are welcome. The group meets each Wednesday. The fall session will culminate in a December performance. No prior experience necessary. Contact coordinator Kevin Zoernig at 505-699 6624.
• UWC-USA offers free Chinese (Mandarin) classes in Las Vegas — for ages 15 and up. If you are interested in studying beginning Mandarin Chinese and learning about China through language, the class is from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. every Thursday at the Old Town Mission, Chavez St. at Socorro. Free, but an ongoing commitment is necessary. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Sharon.email@example.com or 454-4206.
• Committee for Clean Air, Water, and Earth weekly meetings, 6 p.m. Mondays at Presbyterian Church, 1000 Douglas Ave. The meeting is about fracking and ongoing projects in Las Vegas and San Miguel County. For more information, call 426-1468.
• West Las Vegas Head Start program is accepting applications for income- eligible 3- and 4-year-old children for the 2013-14 school year. The program has seven classrooms at the West Las Vegas site and is in session from 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. The program also has three classrooms at Los Ninos Elementary. Applications may be picked up at West Las Vegas Head Start Early Childhood Center, 2730 Romero Street in Las Vegas. For more information, call 426-2823 or 426-2830.