• 2nd Annual Light Parade and House Lighting Contest in Anton Chico by Renewing the Spirit of Anton Chico. House lighting contest at 6 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16. Oremos at 3 p.m. and light parade at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17 with a guest appearance by Santa Claus immediately after at the school. For more information, call Naiomi Garcia at 505-507-4515.
• Cineflix at Ilfeld showing “Contagion” starting at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16. Free and open to the public.
• The Art Club at West Las Vegas High School will be wrapping gifts starting from $2-$5 depending on size, from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17 at Travelers Cafe on the Plaza.
• 112th Annual Christmas Bird Count sponsored by the National Audubon Society and organized locally by the Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17. For more information, contact Chris and Cassidy Ruge at 425-2757 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Las Vegas Elks Lodge #408 annual Hoop Shoot Competition, 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17, at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. The national freethrow shooting contest for boys and girls ages eight through 13 Each contestant has 25 shots at the hoop. The boy and girl in each age group with the best scores advance through four tiers of competition to qualify for the national finals at Springfield Mass. For more information, call Phil Leger at 429-0401.
• Robertson High School basketball and tennis teams breakfast fundraiser, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 18 at the Memorial Middle School Cafeteria. Tickets are $5 and are available from any member of the team or by calling 429-2886.
• Cineflix at Ilfeld showing “Kung Fu Panda 2” starting at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 18. Free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Hershel and The Hanukkah Goblins a play by Mary Byers and story by Eric Kimmel will be performed at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 22 at the Newman Center, Eighth Street and Columbia Ave. Free and open to the public.
• The San Miguel County Safe-Ride-Home Service will be extending its hours of operation. Additional days of operation will include Monday, Dec. 26 through Saturday, Dec. 31 from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. However, on New Year’s Eve service hours will operate from 6 p.m. to 2:30 am. Services are provided from any liquor establishment to your home. For a ride call, 429-0336.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern New Mexico is raffling a red 2010 Chevrolet Camaro with black leather seats and Pirelli tires. Tickets are $100 each, and only 500 tickets will be sold. To buy a ticket, call 426-8510 or 426-7594.