• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 14, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “The Mouse Before Christmas” by Michael Garland. The theme for the month is “It’s Christmas Time in Las Vegas.” All programs are free and open to the public.
• West Las Vegas High School presents an Art Dessert Night and silent auction, 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 14 at West Las Vegas High School. There will be plates of dessert for $3 and various Silent Auction items donated by local businesses. The WLVHS Choir will also be performing. All proceeds go to the WLVHS Art Club.
• Rio Gallinas School of Ecology and the Arts’ celebration of learning from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 14 at New Mexico Highlands University's Kennedy Hall. On Tuesday, the first to fourth grade students will present their work about the late Col. William Roberts also known as “Billy Goat Roberts.” On Wednesday, students in fifth to eighth grade will speak about “Water Around the World” and what they have learned since the beginning of the school year.
• Search and Rescue will meet at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 14 at the Professional Health Care Annex, 1931, across from the Forest Service Office.
• Cineflix at Ilfeld showing “Our Idiot Brother” starting at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 14. Free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• 2nd Annual Light Parade and House Lighting Contest in Anton Chico by Renewing the Spirit of Anton Chico. House lighting contest at 6 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16. Oremos at 3 p.m. and light parade at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17 with a guest appearance by Santa Claus immediately after at the school. For more information, call Naiomi Garcia at 505-507-4515.
• Cineflix at Ilfeld showing “Contagion” starting at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16. Free and open to the public.
• The Art Club at West Las Vegas High School will be wrapping gifts starting from $2-$5 depending on size, from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17 at Travelers Cafe on the Plaza.
• 112th Annual Christmas Bird Count sponsored by the National Audubon Society and organized locally by the Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17. For more information, contact Chris and Cassidy Ruge at 425-2757 or email@example.com.
• The Las Vegas Elks Lodge #408 annual Hoop Shoot Competition, 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 17, at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center. The national freethrow shooting contest for boys and girls ages eight through 13 Each contestant has 25 shots at the hoop. The boy and girl in each age group with the best scores advance through four tiers of competition to qualify for the national finals at Springfield Mass. For more information, call Phil Leger at 429-0401.
• Robertson High School basketball and tennis teams breakfast fundraiser, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 18 at the Memorial Middle School Cafeteria. Tickets are $5 and are available from any member of the team or by calling 429-2886.
• Cineflix at Ilfeld showing “Kung Fu Panda 2” starting at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 18. Free and open to the public.
• Hershel and The Hanukkah Goblins a play by Mary Byers and story by Eric Kimmel will be performed at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 22 at the Newman Center, 8th Street and Columbia Ave. Free and open to the public.
• The San Miguel County Safe-Ride-Home Service will be extending its hours of operation. Additional days of operation will include Monday, Dec. 26 through Saturday, Dec. 31 from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. However, on New Year’s Eve service hours will operate from 6 p.m. to 2:30 am. Services are provided from any liquor establishment to your home. For a ride call, 429-0336.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern New Mexico is raffling a red 2010 Chevrolet Camaro with black leather seats and Pirelli tires. Tickets are $100 each, and only 500 tickets will be sold. All funds raised will go to support BBBS programs for children in San Miguel and Mora counties. To buy a ticket, call 426-8510 or 426-7594.
• Holiday Pecan Sale by the Greater Las Vegas Lions Club is once again underway to raise funds to help qualified residents of San Miguel County pay for eye exams and glasses. See the full selection at Shoes ‘n Boots on Seventh Street near Mills through December. Prices begin at $3.Call 454-8095 for dates of special one-day sales locations around town.