• The Gingerbread House/Biscochito baking contest will take place this year from 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, in the lobby of El Fidel Hotel.
• Rio Gallinas School of Ecology and the Arts Renaissance Apprenticeship Arts and Crafts Fair from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 11, the Blackbird on Bridge Street. The members of the wood, metal, paper, cloth and leather guilds at Rio Gallinas School will be selling their wares at the Blackbird on Bridge Street on Saturday, December 11th. Please plan on bringing with you your purses laden with golden ducats for this most unusual fair. All proceeds from the fair will aid these young apprentices’ goal
to travel to Arizona for Renaissance Faire in March 2011. For information, call 454-8687.
• El Zócalo, Los Artesanos de Las Vegas, celebrates the holiday season at Second Saturday on Saturday, Dec. 11. The gallery’s theme for the month is “Fire and Ice,” which ties into the artwork of Alex Ellis, artist of the month. Ellis will talk about his works in encaustic painting, metalwork, prints, and jewelry at 2 p.m. at the gallery, 212 Plaza. A festive holiday reception will follow the talk.
• An arts and crafts Christmas fair will be held from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at the American Legion on Collins Drive. For more information, call 425-9545.
• Samaritan House will be the recipient of a fundraiser at Tome on the Range on Saturday, Dec. 11, and Sunday, Dec. 12. A portion of sales will be donated to assist in the food distribution program, Casa de Samaritan Shelter and Community Transitional Housing.
• Photos of pets will be taken with Santa Claus between 1 and 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at Bill Scheid's Enchantment Ford in Las Vegas. (Cats and dogs only.) This is a fundraiser for the Animal Welfare Coalition of Northeastern New Mexico; the group is asking for a suggested donation of $10 per photo. The coalition will have kittens available for adoption.
• Art Essentials will hold its last art show for the holiday season from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at Eighth and Washington streets.
• The Sheridan Volunteers Fire Department will sponsor an indoor flea market from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, at the Sheridan Fire Station in Romeroville, next to the Phillips 66 gas station. Vendor spaces are available for $5 a space. Call 454-1455 to reserve space. The proceeds will go the fire station.
• Author Sharon Niederman will hold a book-signing at 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 12, at Thom on the Range bookstore, 158 Bridge St. She takes readers on a tour of ranches, cafes, festivals, home kitchens and farmers markets in “New Mexico’s Tasty Traditions: Recollections, Recipes and Photos.” For more information, call 454-9944.
• The Robertson High School Boys Basketball Team will hold an All You Can Eat Breakfast Fundraiser from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 12 at the Memorial Middle School Cafeteria. Tickets are $5.00 and may be purchased from any member of the team or at the door on the day of the event.
• The Las Vegas Elks Lodge 408 will hold the annual Hoop Shoot at 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 12, at Robertson High School’s gym. It is seeking the participation of basketball players from ages 8 to 13 for a free-throw shooting contest. For more information, call Donald Montoya at 425-6181.
• The third annual Maricach Christmas will be 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 12, at Highlands University’s Ilfeld Auditorium. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for Highlands students with valid IDs and children 10 and younger. Casa de Cultura is organizing the concert in collaboration with Highlands. The concert will feature 21st CCLC Mariachi Cardenal Infantil, Mariachi Cardenal Juvenil and Mariachi Cardenal. A special performance by Mariachi Paisano del Valle is planned. Tickets are available at Highlands KEDP radio station, Studio 103, Sena’s Music, Love Music, Tapetes de Lana (Travelers Cafe) Robertson High School, Memorial Middle School and Los Niños Elementary. For more information, call Casa de Cultura at 454-6771. The proceeds will benefit local student music programs.
• Acequia Madre de Holman will hold its annual meeting at 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 13, at the Cleveland Center. For more information, call Carlos Arellano at (575) 387-2030.
• Story Time will be at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 15, at Carnegie Library. The theme will be “Here comes Santa Claus.” The book and music will be “Twas the Night Before Christmas” by Clement Moore. The craft will be a holly wreath.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The home and storefront decoration contest will be judged from 5-7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 18. Applications for these events are available at the Chamber of Commerce office at 503 Sixth St. For more information, call 425-8631.
• Las Vegas resident Carol Ditmanson is holding a fundraiser to help local cancer victims. Her sister-in-law was diagnosed last November with pancreatic cancer. The sister-in-law started a source for funds to help other cancer patients. She is selling cancer awareness T-shirts and doing rummage sales, and giving 100 percent of her clearance sales from her shop “A Time to Bead” to the fund. Ditmanson is planning an event for 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 18, at First United Methodist Church to raise money in her sister-in-law’s honor for local cancer patients. Ditmanson will hold a bead-jewelry, bake and general sale. For more information, call Ditmanson at 425-9757.
• The San Miguel del Bado Land Grant Board will hold its quarterly public meeting at 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 19, at the San Miguel Senior Center in San Miguel. For more information, call Oliver Perea at (575) 421-9595.
• Story Time will be at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 22, at Carnegie Library. The theme will be “Christmas in Las Vegas.” The book will be “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” by Eileen Daly. The craft will be a Christmas photo frame.
• Story Time will be at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 29, at Carnegie Library. The theme will be “New Year’s Celebration.” The book will be “Goodbye Old Year, Hello New Year” by Frank Modell. The craft will be a New Year’s dream collage.