• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 29, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Henry Hikes to Fitchburg” by D.B. Johnson. Free and open to the public.
• The West Las Vegas High School Class of 2003 will be having a meeting at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 30 at K-Bob's to discuss plans for the upcoming 10 year reunion. For more info or questions, call Francisco Sanchez at 429-4437 or Elizabeth Garcia at 505-718-9117.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The San Miguel DWI Program is featuring “The Best of San Miguel County” placemat art created by students from West Las Vegas, Las Vegas City Schools, and Pecos Schools. The art is on display at Traveler’s Cafe on the Plaza through the end of August.
• The Miss Las Vegas Scholarship Organization is sponsoring the Little Miss Las Vegas Pageant on Saturday, Oct. 13. The competition is open to girls, 6 to 12 years. Phases of competition are casual wear, talent, party/formal wear and on-stage question. No entry fee is required. Entry forms may be picked up at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center, Carnegie Library or the Chamber of Commerce. Entry deadline is Friday, Sept. 7. For more information, call Philip Ortiz at 718-5656.
• Exhibition of paintings by Martin Montoya at New Mexico Highlands University’s Ray Drew Gallery, the exhibit will be on display until Sept. 28. For more information, contact Bob Read at 454-3338.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital Community Health Fair, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 15 at the Abe Montoya Recreation Center gymnasium. This is a free event and open the public. There will be a blood drive, free health screenings, health care services information and more. For more information, call 426-3772 or email email@example.com.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital’s 3rd Annual 5K Life Run and Walk, run/walk starts at 8 a.m. and children’s run starts at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 15 at the hospital. Registration forms available at the hospital, Abe Montoya Recreation Center and online at www.newmexicosportsonline.com. For more information, contact Linda at 426-3772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge is open for dove hunting all of September. Dove hunting on the refuge is by permit only. Permits may be obtained from the refuge visitor center 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. A $5 user fee must be paid is cash upon receipt of each permit. Hunters also must have a valid State of New Mexico hunting license. Call 425-3581.
• Outdoor spaces are available for artists and craftsmen at the Cleveland Millfest. The event takes place Sept. 1 and 2. Call 575-387-6763 or 575-387-2645 for application and information.