• The Las Vegas Area Association of Educational Retirees August Meeting, 11:30 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 13 at the Plaza Hotel / Conservatory. Planning and Update for the 2012 NMAER State Convention. For more information, call Tomás at 575-421-2455.
• Registration for Immaculate Conception Religious Education Classes for 2012-13 will take place from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Aug. 13 to Aug. 17. Classes begin Monday, Aug. 20 and will take place from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. For more information, call Rita Garcia at 454-0685 425-1455.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Teacher’s Pets” by Dayle Ann Dodds. Free and open to the public.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• The San Miguel County DWI Safe-Ride-Home Service is available Fridays & Saturdays, from 8 p.m. to 2:30 am. Call 429-0336 for service. Rides are given in the Las Vegas area from liquor establishment to home.
• West Las Vegas Class of 1962 50th Class Reunion, Sept. 21 and Sept. 22. For more information, call Emilio Aragon at 426-7719, Horace Lucero at 429-897, Kathy Tapia at 429-9836 or Lydia Lovato at 454-3990.
• Annual Heritage Month by the Las Vegas Arts Council titled Land of Legacy featuring painter Roark Griffin and sculpture by Nancy and Harry Leippe. The exhibit is on display at the arts council’s gallery at 140 Bridge St. until Aug. 30.
• 38th Annual Santa Fe Bluegrass and Old Time Festival, Aug. 24 to Aug. 26 at the Santa Fe County Fairgrounds, 3229 Rodeo Road in Santa Fe. For more information, visit www.Southwestpickers.org.
• Outdoor spaces are available for artists and craftsmen at the Cleveland Millfest, the two-day even takes place Labor Day weekend, Sept. 1 and Sept. 2. Call 575-387-6763.
or 575-387-2645 for application and information.
• Donations are being accepted for the 2012 Ride to Pride Dinner and Silent Auction slated for Oct. 5. For more information, any of the following Ride To Pride representatives; Lorraine Esquibel 429-3905, or Bernard Schaer at 429-0856 or Amy McFall 429-5678.
• Los Caballeros de Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores de las Vegas Grandes are planning a family reunion party. If you were a caballero during the 1990’s contact Don Chris Gallegos at 429-0193, Don José Maestas at 454-9133 or Don William Sanchez at 425-5251.
• The San Miguel DWI Program is featuring “The Best of San Miguel County” placemat art created by students from West Las Vegas, Las Vegas City Schools, and Pecos Schools. The art is on display at Traveler’s Cafe on the Plaza through the end of August.
• West Las Vegas Head Start applications for the 2012-2013 Program Year are now available. Applicants are asked to bring income verification for the previous 12 months or 2011 Income Tax information to determine eligibility. The child must be three (3) years of age before Sept. 1 as verified by birth certificate. Also necessary will be insurance information, current immunization record and evidence of current (within one year) physical exam and dental exam (forms are available when you pick up application). Application selection will be determined by ranking points as per selection criteria. Consideration will be given for up to 10 percent of total enrollment for over-income children. Over-income children will be ranked according to points as per selection criteria. Applications are available at the West Las Vegas Head Start located at 2730 Romero (next door to Armijo Elementary School) also online at www.wlvheadstart.com If you have any questions, call 426-2821 or 426- 2823.
• The Mora/Colfax Head Start Program is accepting applications for the 2012-2013 school year. Head Start offers services for children with disabilities and special needs, and other child development services. Children born before Sept. 1, 2009 are age eligible. Applications may be picked up at the Mora/Colfax Head Start office in Holman. For more information, call Pauline Espinoza at 575-387-3236, Beatrice Regensberg at 575-387-3139 or Valerie Benjamin at 575-3217.
• The Children’s Workshop is offering free child development screenings. The schedule an appointment, call 426-1760 or 454-0348.