• 36th Annual People’s Faire, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23 at Carnegie Library park. For more information, call 425-1085.
• A Time to Bead in New Mexico; Cancer Assistance and Support Fundraising will be at the People’s Faire from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23 at Carnegie Library Park. We have a wonderful selection of Beads, jewelry and arts and crafts, 100 percent of the sales go to help cancer patients and their families here in the Las Vegas Area. The funds are distributed through the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico. Donations are welcome.
• Heart of David will host a Gospel Fest from 1 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23 at the West Las Vegas gym. For more information, call 454-3886.
• Noontime Kiwanis Club’s Annual Yard Sale, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23 on the corner of 7th Street and Lee Drive, across from Lowe’s Supersave. All proceeds go to supporting children and youth of our area. For more information, call 454-9707 or 718-6211.
• Vegas Treasure Hunt, video will post at 7 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 24 on YouTube. Video contains clues to locations of over $4,000 in prizes. A nursing scholarship fundraiser, open to all. See website at www.VegasTreasureHunt.org for more information.
• Rio Gallinas Restoration Tour, noon to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 24 at La Placita Fire Station in Gallinas. Lunch at noon and the tour at 1:30 p.m. For more information, call Lea at 425-5514.
• Free movie showing of a locally made documentary on the effects of fracking, 6 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 25 in the Lora Shields building - room 215. This locally made documentary shows the effects of fracking in the Farmington area. Refreshments provided, and people in the movie will be there to answer questions. Lora Shields Building is on National between 8th and 11th on Highlands Campus. Look for signs and balloons. For more information, contact the Committee for Clean Water, Air and Earth at 426-1468
• Call for artists and craftspersons for Cleveland Millfest. Outdoor spaces are available for artists and craftsmen at the Cleveland Millfest. The two-day event takes place Labor Day Weekend Aug. 30 and Aug. 31. Call 575-387-6763 or 575-387-2645 for application and information. The Event takes place at the Cleveland Roller Mill Museum in Cleveland.
• The AAUW Summer Used Book Sale will be held from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 12 and on Saturday, Sept. 13 at Sala de Madrid, on the Highlands campus. There will be a large selection of books — paperbacks, mysteries, inspirational works, current affairs, art books, children’s books, classics, collectibles — great reading and information for every possible interest, along with CDs and DVDs; most paperbacks $1, and most hardcovers, including best-sellers.
at $2. The book sale is a non-profit fund-raiser for AAUW solely to support educational programs in the community and scholarships. Donated books may be dropped off at the Sala de Madrid Thursday, Sept. 11.
• Nat Gold Players presentation of Happy Gland Band and Poets to Ponder, dinner at 6 p.m. with show starting at 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 12 at the Spic and Span’s new facility in the old Salvation Army Building. Tickets are $20 adults in advance, $22 at the door and students are $18 in advance and $20 at the door. Tickets are available from any Nat Gold Player board member. For more information, call 454-0060.
• Oil and watercolor paintings by Kimberly Reed-Deemer and acrylic paintings and pastel drawings by Johanna Kennan are on display until Oct. 10 at El Fidel Restaurant. An exhibit reception will take place from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 5.
• Robertson High School class of 1979 will host its 35-year Class Reunion from Oct. 10 to Oct. 11 in Las Vegas. Anyone who attended high school with this class is invited to attend. Attendees will participate in the Robertson Homecoming Parade followed by a tailgate party and attendance at the Homecoming game on Friday; a school tour, dinner and dance on Saturday. Any classmates who have not been contacted may call MaryAnn Salazar-Lucero at 505-629-6377 or Diane Lucero-Vasquez at 505-379-2082 for more information.
• The Las Vegas Arts Council’s 2014 Historic Las Vegas Studio Tour, Oct. 25 and Oct. 26. In addition to private studios, tour stops at New Mexico Highlands University and United World College once again we will have a “La Gente” show featuring both Las Vegas residents unable to show at home and area artists who reside outside the studio tour perimeter.
• Meadow City Zen is an open group of people sitting in silent meditation. The group will be at the First Presbyterian Fellowship Hall. For dates, information, and instruction call Jane at 454-1260.