• Fort Union National Monument National Park Service announced the annual “Candlelight Tours” on Saturday, Aug. 20. During this free evening event visitors will be guided through the fort, and, through a series of vignettes performed by costumed interpreters, will discover how Fort Union played a critical role throughout the life of one the Southwest’s most prominent women of the 19th century, Marian Sloan Russell. Each tour will run 30 to 40 minutes. Tour times are: 8 p.m., 8:30 p.m., 8:50 p.m., 9:10 p.m., 9:30 p.m., 9:50 p.m. and 10:10 p.m. Photography is allowed only during the 8 p.m. tour. Groups are limited in size to 15 visitors per tour time. Reservations are required.
• 20th Annual Watrous Day in memory of Max “Bro” Gallegos, free barbeque from noon to 1 p.m. and live music by Masizo from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. pm Saturday. Aug. 20 at the park in Watrous, N.M.
• Movie in the Park, showing this week is “The Last Song,” starting at dusk on Saturday, Aug. 20 at Carnegie Library Park. Weather permitting including winds exceeding 30 mph. Popcorn, drinks and snacks will be for sale by the Friends of the Library.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Exercise and Wellness class at Luna Community College starts Aug. 22 to Dec. 7, noon classes, four months of exercise for $41, (special $5 rate for seniors) includes Kickbox and Step Combo, cardio vascular machines, cardio-conditioning equipment, free weights, boxing equipment, exercise ball, toning and abdominal equipment, and wellness staff available. Last day to enroll is Aug. 29. Open to the public. Call 454-5314, 425-8767 or 429-0508.
• Children’s Acting Workshop, for readers six to 11 years old. Starting on Aug. 23 through Nov. 18. Fridays from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the basement in the Methodist church. Cost is $7 per class and scholarships are available. For more information, call Caroline Rackley at 425-6092, or 505-217-6169. Information may also be obtained from Carnegie Library at 426-3304 or Luna Community Education at 454-3511.
• San Miguel County Family and Community Health Council event starts at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 23 at the Public Health Office - 18 Gallegos Road. Public is welcome to participate. For more information, call Yolanda Cruz, Coordinator at 425-9770.