• The Las Vegas Area Association of Educational Retirees meeting, 11:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 12 at K-Bob’s Restaurant. The agenda includes naming delegates to the 2013 NMAER State Convention in Artesia. For more information, contact Tomás at 575-421-2455.
• Beyond Natural Gas presents “Solar Electricity” by Cary Lane, at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 12 at the Presbyterian Church Community Room, across from the main post office on Douglas Ave. Everyone is welcome to learn more about how to generate our own electricity for our community and get paid back. Sponsored by the Committee for Clean Water, Air, and Earth. For more information, call 426-1468.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Operation Christmas Child Collections, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 16 at the local Walmart on Seventh Street. Worldwide Christmas Project to Collect Shoe Box Gifts for Hurting Children Through Operation Christmas Child, locals are joining tens of thousands of people across the U.S. to fill empty shoe boxes with toys, school supplies and necessity items for impoverished children around the world. Anyone can participate in Operation Christmas Child. For more information on how to participate in Operation Christmas Child, or to find the nearest drop-off site, call 505-930-0146 or visit www.SamaritansPurse.org/OCC.
• The Mora class of 1973 class reunion, dinner at 6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 17 at the Hillcrest Flamingo dining room.
• Las Vegas Arts Council’s People’s Faire, scheduled for Aug. 17 at Carnegie Library Park. For more information, call Janet Remenyik at 454-1307.
• Friends of the Las Vegas Carnegie will raffle two Nook HD’s, at the People’s Faire at 4 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 17 at Carnegie Library Park. Raffle tickets are $2. All donations and sales benefits the Carnegie Library. For more information, call Gina Harris at 575-641-5455.
• Call for artists and craftsman at the Cleveland Millfest that take place on Saturday, Aug. 31 and Sunday, Sept. 1 at the Cleveland Roller Museum in Cleveland. For more information, contact 575-387-2645 or 575-387-6723 or email email@example.com.
• West Las Vegas Head Start program is accepting applications for income eligible three and four-year-old children for the 2013-2014 school year. The program has seven classrooms at the West Las Vegas site and are in session from 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. The program also has three classrooms at Los Ninos Elementary. Applications may be picked up at West Las Vegas Head Start Early Childhood Center, 2730 Romero Street in Las Vegas. For more information, call 426-2823 or 426-2830.