• The Alta Vista Regional Hospital Senior Circle Chapter is hosting a free “Health Sense Doc Talk” education event on Friday, April 22, from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Alta Vista Regional Hospital Classrooms, 104 Legion Drive in Las Vegas. Dr. Paul Conescu, Orthopaedic Surgeon, will present on “The recall of orthopaedic implants: What you should know.” Prospective Senior Circle members are welcome. The presentation will be followed by a question and answer session. For more information and to reserve your seat, call Linda Leyba at (505) 426-3772 or e-mail email@example.com.
• The Las Vegas Optic offices will be closed today, April 22, in observance of the Easter holiday. The office will resume regular hours on Monday, April 25.
• The Las Vegas Elks Lodge #408 will be holding their annual Easter Egg Hunt at 1 p.m on Sunday, April 24 at the Robertson Football Field.
UPCOMING & ONGOING EL PORVENIR
• National Park Week Celebrates Healthy Parks, Healthy People. The growing connection between public lands and public health is the focus of National Park Week, April 16-24. During National Park Week, Fort Union National Monument, which is a short drive from Las Vegas, will offer free admission. Fort Union (1851-1891) was the largest frontier military post and supply center of the Southwest. The National Park Service preserves and tells the story of Fort Union and the Santa Fe Trail. Fort Union National Monument is located near Watrous, exit 366 off I-25, 8 miles on NM-161. For further information, contact the park at 425-8025 or visit the park website at
• Cub Scouts Pack#60 will not hold its regular scheduled meetings this week in observance of the Easter Holiday. If parents have any questions, contact Ida Sue at 426-8238.
• The Board of County Commissioners of San Miguel County announced, “Applications for the El Valle De San Miguel Flying Diamond Scholarship are now available at the San Miguel County Human Resource Office. Applications and a copy of the scholarship guidelines may be picked up from Loretta Medina, human resource administrative assistant.” The Human Resource Office is located at 500 West National 2nd Floor, Suite 202, in Las Vegas. You may also obtain an application and guidelines for the scholarship by logging on to San Miguel County’s webwite at www.smcounty.net Deadline for applications is 5 p.m. on April 25. For additional information you may call Loretta Medina at the Human Resource Office at 425-1557.
• Reading, booksigning and discussion with author Jimmy Santiago Baca, 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26 at Highlands University’s Sininger Hall, hosted by Tome on the Range. For more information, call 454-9944.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital is once again seeking to honor one of its nurses through its annual Patient Choice Award program. The hospital is asking for input from the community. If you or a family member have come to Alta Vista Regional Hospital for inpatient, outpatient or emergency care in the last year and you have a nurse you’d like to thank for going the extra mile, don’t miss this chance. Nominations for the 2011 Patient Choice Award will be accepted until April 29. Nominations can be made online at the hospital’s website at www.altavistaregionalhospital.com/nominations. Or, nominations can be e-mailed, mailed or faxed (as long as it arrives by April 29). E-mail nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail to: Mathew Martinez, Marketing Director, Alta Vista Regional Hospital, 104 Legion Drive, Las Vegas, N.M. 87701 or fax to 454-9502.
• The Eighth Annual SynergyFest will be taking place on April 30 at New Mexico Highlands University’s Melody Park. SynergyFest celebrates the potential of a sustainable future for the community surrounding Las Vegas. It promotes local businesses, local artisans, and sustainable products. Entertainment powered by a solar stage and children’s activities are all part of this event. Go to www.synergyfest.com to register online or print out a form.
• Habitat for Humanity is sponsoring a 5K Fun Run for Youth and Adults and a 1 mile children's (under 13 years) run on Saturday April 30 at Melody Park in conjunction with SynergyFest. The 5K is scheduled for 9 a.m. and the Children's Run at 9:30 a.m. Registration for this charity event is $10 for kids and $20 for youth and adults. Entry forms can be picked up at the office for Habitat for Humanity located at 714 National Avenue or can be faxed to entrants by calling 454-4434. Awards will be given to the overall winner and to the top three finishers in each age division for both male and female runners. Children's awards will go to the top 3 boys and top 3 girls. Funds raised by this event will go towards construction of affordable housing for families in Las Vegas.
• Spaghetti Luncheon Fundraiser benefit for Relay for Life, Las Vegas, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on May 1 at the West Las Vegas High School Cafeteria, $5 per person donation. For tickets or for more information, call 429-2297 or email email@example.com.
• Celebration of the partnership between UWC-USA and the First United Presbyterian Church in creating a community center in the nearly completed Old Town Mission Church. Find out more about what is being planned and how you might get involved. Celebration and signing ceremony between The First United Presbyterian Church and UWC-USA, 4 p.m. on Tuesday, May 3 at the Old Town Mission Church, Chavez and Socorro streets. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 454-4206.