• NMHU Jazz Ensemble concert, 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 16 in the Student Union Building. General admission is $5 and NMHU students with valid ID are free.
• Information meeting to learn about foster and adoptive parenting opportunities with New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department, 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 16 at the local CYFD office at 2518 Ridge Runner Road. Currently there are 39 children in San Miguel County in the foster care system. There is a need for more foster parents in this community. CYFD staff will be available at the meeting to give information and answer questions about how you can become a licensed foster or adoptive parent. For more information, contact Renee Valerio at 575-758-8871, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For general foster/adoptive parenting information 24 hours a day, seven days a week, please call CYFD toll-free at 1-800-432-2075 or visit us on the web at www.cyfd.org.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 16 in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Bunny My Honey” by Anita Jeram. Free and open to the public.
• Glimpses of the Past program, 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 17 at the CCHP/Santa Fe Trail Interpretive Center in 116 Bridge St. This month’s topic is “Silent Voices of WWII: When the Sons of the Land of Enchantment Met the Sons of the Land of the Rising Sun.” Join Nancy Bartlit as she delves into this history and highlights the cultural differences and ironies as these two groups meet each other at the end of a gun and behind barbwire fences. The Glimpses of the Past series are free in partnership with the Citizens Committee for Historic Preservation. For more information, contact Fort Union National Monument at 425-8025, or visit www.nps.gov/foun.
• San Miguel County Offices will be closed from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, April 18 in observance of Good Friday. Offices will reopen on Monday, April 21.
• The Las Vegas Optic office will be closed on Friday, April 18 in observance of the Good Friday holiday.
• The Mora/San Miguel Farm and Livestock Bureau Easter Egg Hunt, 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 19 at the Gene Torres Golf Course.
• Easter and Mother’s Day Extravaganza, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 19 at Mike Marr Gym. An Easter Egg hunt will take place at 11 and participants need to check-in at the gym to participate in the hunt. For more information, contact Bernadette Maldonado at 505-903-3611 or 454-2796.
• ArtBark to benefit the The Animal Welfare Coalition who took over the Las Vegas Animal Shelter in September. The silent auction will take place from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m on Saturday, April 19 at the UWC-USA Kluge Atrium. Admission is $10 per person, and includes musical performances by UWC-USA students, appetizers, and a tour of the famous Montezuma Castle. Artworks range from oil paintings and water colors to ceramics and jewelry, and all work is available at auction prices.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• NMHU Foundation is sponsoring a Fine Art Print Lecture series by Dr. Robert Bell, 4 p.m. on Tuesday, April 22 at the George and Sheryl Talbot Fine Art Print room in Kennedy Alumni Hall. Free and open to the public. For more information call the Foundation office at 454-3248 or Bob Read at 454-3338.
• Volunteers needed for the Gallinas River Clean-up, 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, April 26. Hermit’s Peak Watershed Alliance, along with partners Tierra y Montes, NMHU Conservation Club, and Keep Las Vegas Beautiful, will be hosting a river clean-up along the Gallinas River in Las Vegas and in some areas in the Gallinas Canyon. September’s flood left a wake of trash in the Gallinas River. If you would like to volunteer, meet at 9 am at the West Las Vegas High School Parking Lot on April 26. There will be breakfast snacks, coffee, and tools for the clean-up. Contact email@example.com for more information.
• World Tai Chi and Qigong Day,
An unprecedented global health and healing event which will unfold across the planet, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 26 at Melody Park on the NMHU campus. For more Information- Peter Stege 454-0003. or firstname.lastname@example.org.