• Herff Jones will be at Robertson High School from 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Friday, April 15 at McFarland Hall Gym for final delivery of graduation orders. For more information, call Charlene Jiron at 454-5770 ext. 212.
• Parenting / Family Support Group, 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, April 15 sponsored by MSG Local Collaborative 4 at El Valle Community Center Frank V. Gallegos Resource Room. The parent group is where parents can express there feelings about their child or children that are having problems getting services. They can talk with other families who are having the same difficulties and they can provide information about what their family has done and what has and has not worked for them. The group offers support for one another. El Valle Community Center Frank V. Gallegos Resource Room is located I 25 to Hwy 3 exit 323 south 12 miles behind Villanueva Post Office. Physical address 11 Pueblos Rd. Villanueva, N.M 87583. For more information or to volunteer, 575-4212-0808.
• Interfaith dialogue of the Holocaust, 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 17, at the First Presbyterian Church, 1000 Douglas Ave. Free admission and refreshments will be served. For more information, call 425-7772.
• The Viles Scholarship Foundation announced that the deadline to apply for the Viles Scholarship has been extended to Monday, April 18. For applications or information, call LouElla Marr-Montoya at 425-7108 or 429-0508. Applications have been made available to the counselors at high schools.
UPCOMING & ONGOING EL PORVENIR
• National Park Week Celebrates Healthy Parks, Healthy People. The growing connection between public lands and public health is the focus of National Park Week, April 16-24. During National Park Week, Fort Union National Monument, which is a short drive from Las Vegas, will offer free admission. Fort Union (1851-1891) was the largest frontier military post and supply center of the southwest. The National Park Service preserves and tells the story of Fort Union and the Santa Fe Trail. Fort Union National Monument is located near Watrous, exit 366 off I-25, 8 miles on NM-161. For further information, contact the park at 425-8025 or visit the park website at
• The Las Vegas Elks Lodge #408 will be holding their annual Easter Egg Hunt Sunday at 1 p.m on Sunday, April 24 at the Robertson Football Field.
• Fort Union National Monument, National Park Service announces its’ monthly “Glimpses of the Past” presentation “Las Vegas’ Heroes of the Past: The 3rd New Mexico Volunteer Infantry.” The program will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 21 at the CCHP/Santa Fe Trail Interpretive Center, 116 Bridge St., in Las Vegas. One hundred and fifty years ago the United States of America and its territories found itself thrust into inner conflict and Civil War. Step back in time to those turbulent days of the Civil War and learn of the brave men from Las Vegas and its surrounding communities who donned the Union uniform to defend the New Mexico Territory. Afterwards, join in ranks with Fort Union National Monument’s living history members of the 3rd New Mexico Volunteer Infantry and learn the basics of Civil War military marching and drill. The “Glimpses of the Past” series are free in partnership with the Citizens Committee for Historic Preservation. For more information, contact Fort Union National Monument at 425-8025, or visit the park website at www.nps.gov/foun.
• The Board of County Commissioners of San Miguel County announced, “Applications for the El Valle De San Miguel Flying Diamond Scholarship are now available at the San Miguel County Human Resource Office. Applications and a copy of the scholarship guidelines may be picked up from Loretta Medina, Human Resource Administrative Assistant.” The Human Resource Office is located at 500 West National 2nd Floor, Suite 202, Las Vegas, New Mexico. You may also obtain an application and guidelines for the scholarship by logging on to San Miguel County’s Web Site at www.smcounty.net Deadline for applications is at 5 p.m. on Monday, April 25. For additional information you may call Loretta Medina at the Human Resource Office at 425-1557.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital is once again seeking to honor one of its nurses through its annual Patient Choice Award program. The hospital is asking for input from the community. If you or a family member have come to Alta Vista Regional Hospital for inpatient, outpatient or emergency care in the last year and you have a nurse you’d like to thank for going the extra mile, don’t miss this chance. Nominations for the 2011 Patient Choice Award will be accepted until Friday, April 29. Nominations can be made online at the hospital’s website at www.altavistaregionalhospital.com/nominations. Or, nominations can be e-mailed, mailed or faxed (as long as it arrives by April 29). E-mail nominations to email@example.com, mail to: Mathew Martinez, Marketing Director, Alta Vista Regional Hospital, 104 Legion Drive, Las Vegas, N.M. 87701 or fax to 454-9502.
• The Eighth Annual SynergyFest will be taking place on Saturday, April 30 at New Mexico Highlands University’s Melody Park. SynergyFest celebrates the potential of a sustainable future for the community surrounding Las Vegas, New Mexico. We promote local businesses, local artisans, and sustainable products. Entertainment powered by a solar stage and children’s activities are all part of this event. Go to www.synergyfest.com to register online or print out a form.