• Story Time, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 13 in the children’s area of Carnegie Public Library. All programs are free and open to the public. This week’s theme is “Create your Own Story at Your Library,” the book is “The Queen of France” by Tim Wadham and the craft is a my story mobile.
• The Ladies Auxiliary of VFW Post 1547 will be having their monthly meeting. This meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, April 13 at the VFW Post 1547 on MIlls Ave. Main agenda of meeting is to hold officer elections. All officer positions are open. If no officers are elected the Ladies Auxiliary is in jeopardy of being disbanded. All Auxiliary members are encouraged to attend. For additional information, contact Loretta Garduño, Auxiliary President, at 429-0902.
• Thomas C. Donnelly library is hosting a Fine Art Print Lecture Series, 4 p.m. on Wednesday, April 13, at the Art Viewing Room on the second floor of Donnelly Library. This talk will feature Dr. Robert Bell. He will talk about religious prints by the Old Masters - Durer, Rembrandt, Hogworth and others. The even is free and open to the public. Fore more information, call Bob Read at 454-3338.
UPCOMING & ONGOING EL PORVENIR
• The GFWC Las Vegas Women's club, April meeting will be held on Thursday, April 14 at the Plaza Hotel. for more information, call Linda at 425-3007.
• The Viles Scholarship Foundation announced that the deadline to apply for the Viles Scholarship has been extended to Monday, April 18. Applications must to postmarked no later than April 18. The five-year scholarship will be made available to qualifying 2011 graduating seniors who have a parent or both parents deceased, meaning a they are a full or half orphan. Qualifying students must be graduating from the
following high schools: Las Vegas Robertson, West Las Vegas, Mora, Pecos or
Wagon Mound. Recipients can attend a four-year college, community college,
trade or vocational school. For applications or further information, call LouElla Marr-Montoya at 425-7108 or 429-0508. Applications have been made available to the counselors at high schools.
• The Board of County Commissioners of San Miguel County announced, “Applications for the El Valle De San Miguel Flying Diamond Scholarship are now available at the San Miguel County Human Resource Office. Applications and a copy of the scholarship guidelines may be picked up from Loretta Medina, Human Resource Administrative Assistant.” The Human Resource Office is located at 500 West National 2nd Floor, Suite 202, Las Vegas, New Mexico. You may also obtain an application and guidelines for the scholarship by logging on to San Miguel County’s Web Site at www.smcounty.net Deadline for applications is at 5 p.m. on Monday, April 25. For additional information you may call Loretta Medina at the Human Resource Office at 425-1557.
• Alta Vista Regional Hospital is once again seeking to honor one of its nurses through its annual Patient Choice Award program. The hospital is asking for input from the community. If you or a family member have come to Alta Vista Regional Hospital for inpatient, outpatient or emergency care in the last year and you have a nurse you’d like to thank for going the extra mile, don’t miss this chance. Nominations for the 2011 Patient Choice Award will be accepted until Friday, April 29. Nominations can be made online at the hospital’s website at www.altavistaregionalhospital.com/nominations. Or, nominations can be e-mailed, mailed or faxed (as long as it arrives by April 29). E-mail nominations to email@example.com, mail to: Mathew Martinez, Marketing Director, Alta Vista Regional Hospital, 104 Legion Drive, Las Vegas, N.M. 87701 or fax to 454-9502.
• The Eighth Annual SynergyFest will be taking place on Saturday, April 30 at New Mexico Highlands University’s Melody Park. SynergyFest celebrates the potential of a sustainable future for the community surrounding Las Vegas, New Mexico. We promote local businesses, local artisans, and sustainable products. Entertainment powered by a solar stage and children's activities are all part of this event. Go to www.synergyfest.com to register online or print out a form.