• The San Miguel County Commission has declared Monday, Oct. 10 as “Paint the County Pink Day” to promote breast cancer awareness. Decorate your business, your home and even your car with pink. People are also asked to dress in pink that day.
• In observance of Columbus Day the San Miguel County offices will be closed on Monday, Oct. 10 and will re-open on Tuesday, Oct. 11.
• Public planning meeting on recycling in San Miguel County and Las Vegas, 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 11 at the New Mexico Highlands University Student Center Ballroom. For more information, call 426-2506.
• Story Time at Carnegie Library, 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 12, in the children’s area of the public library. This week’s book is “Meet the Dragons” by Catherine Hapka and the theme is “Fire Prevention Week”. All programs are free and open to the public.
• 13th Annual Enchilada Dinner to fund Mustard Seed grants, lunch from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and dinner from 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 13, at Hillcrest Restaurant. Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for children 10 and under. Tickets may be purchased at the door, any First United Presbyterian Church member and at the church office. For more information, call 425-7763.
UPCOMING & ONGOING
• Interpretive talk to Celebrate National Wildlife Refuge Week, 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 16, at the local refuge located on Highway 281, East of Las Vegas. “Grasses of New Mexico's Front Range and Plains" with Chick Keller, Past President of Native Plant Society of New Mexico Grasses seem daunting for people to identify with their strange names and plant parts such as culms, glumes, palea, auricles, and lemmas. Keller will use drawings to introduce different plant types and parts. Immediately after the talk, the audience will have the opportunity to examine grasses under the microscope and take a walk with Keller to identify grasses in the field. Seating is limited to 40. All seats will be available on a first come first serve basis. For more information, call Jan Arrott at 454-6115
• The local VFW is hosting a bingo on Sunday, Oct. 30, to help cover the costs of the upcoming 720th reunion and ceremony scheduled for Veteran’s Day. For more information, call Nancy at 429-1331 or Betty at 429-1402.
• Craft Fair at the Las Vegas First Baptist Church on Saturday, Nov. 5, at the church located at 201 Mountain View Drive. Table or space is $15. For more information, call 505-206-8931.
• The city of Las Vegas Utilities Department has re-opened its city utility payment center at City Hall located at 1700 North Grand Ave. The hours of service are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The center is for payments only.
• Fourth Judicial District CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) needs volunteers. The local CASA program is now taking applications for volunteers to work with children who have been removed from their homes because of abuse and neglect. All of these children are currently in state custody and living in foster care.If you are interested in becoming a CASA volunteer,contact either Barbara or JoAnn at 454-0223 or drop by the CASA office at 1308 Grant St. at the Rodriguez Softball Complex. The office is open mornings only. The next volunteer training is scheduled for October.
• Booth space available for the Christmas Bazaar in Clayton, N.M., the 16th annual bazaar will take place on Sunday, Nov. 20, at the Clayton Civic Center in downtown Clayton, N.M. The bazaar is sponsored by the non-profit Clayton Federated Women’s Club and proceeds benefit the club’s scholarship fund and other community projects. Booth space may be purchased to display arts and crafts, jewelry, Christmas gifts and ideas, and much more. There will be a food concession, door prizes and admission is free for attendees. For more information, call Sue Richardson at 575-374-1090 between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
• The Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge will be open to mourning dove hunting. For more information, call Lori Casados at 425-3581 x203.