.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Official: West may have made

-A A +A
By David Giuliani

The West Las Vegas school board may have made a mistake by taking its discussion about bus contracts behind closed doors last month, its leader says.

Board Chairman Kenny Lujan said last week that “we might have messed up,” so he wants the board to make it right.

“If we messed up, we’ll put it on the agenda as its own item. That will take suspicion away. We want to be on the up and up. I have nothing to hide,” he said.

He wouldn’t say exactly how the board may have made a mistake, saying it was a closed session.

Lujan said he wants to have the issue re-addressed at the board’s next meeting, which is set for 6 p.m. July 24 at Valley Elementary and Middle School.

Rachel King, the school district’s attorney, said earlier last week that the board closed the meeting under an exception to the state Open Meetings Act that allows governing bodies to meet in executive sessions for discussions on pending or threatened litigation.

She said there hadn’t been any pending litigation against the district, but she declined to discuss the matter further because of attorney-client privilege. If there was no pending litigation, that would have meant the district had received a threat of legal action.

State Rep. Richard Vigil, D-Ribera, who owns RV Transportation, the district’s biggest bus contractor, stayed around while the board met in closed session.

Shortly before it ended, Loretta Salazar, the district’s transportation director, left the executive session and spoke with the state lawmaker briefly. Vigil then departed, and the board went into open session.

Vigil said over the weekend he couldn’t comment on such issues in general on the advice of his attorney.