Submit your calendar items and notices to firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Guidance and Counseling Program of New Mexico Highlands University announced that they are offering Counseling services to the community this semester. The counseling is provided by graduate students in the final phase of their training in the profession of counseling. Call 454-3564 for more information or to make an appointment. The counseling is confidential, free and supervised by the training professor of the Guidance and Counseling Program. The sessions are offered on Thursdays between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
• Habitat for Humanity in Las Vegas is about to start a new house. The organization builds affordable homes for low-income families. If you are interested in helping with the next house (or in some other way), call 454-4434 or habitatlv @gmail.com. They are looking for volunteers of any skill level.
• The Elks National Foundation of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks is funding 500 scholarships (renewable for four years), ranging from $1,000 to $15,000 per year. To apply, you must be a high school senior, as well as a citizen of the United States. Awards will be based on financial need, as well as scholarship and leadership. You do not need to be related to an Elks member. Completed applications need to go to the local Elks lodge at 2305 Collins Drive. Due date: Dec. 2. For information and an application for this Elks Lodge Scholarship, visit http://www.elks.org/enf/scholars/mvs.cfm or call 425-6181.
• The San Miguel County DWI Safe-Ride-Home Service operates Wednesday through Saturday from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Rides are provided throughout San Miguel County from liquor establishment to your home, for service call 505-429-0336.
• Samaritan House Thrift Store has new hours: Monday through Friday; the store will be open for sales and to receive donations from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. On Saturdays, personnel will receive donations from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• All Ages Playgroup at Vida Encantada. A free activity for kids, ages zero to 18, where they will be able to play with other kids and build relationships with our Older Friends at Vida Encantada. Every Monday at 3 p.m. Parents must attend with their children and may bring toys/ activities to share. Contact Etirsa Gamez at 505-510-0185 or Shena Galla 505-425-9362.
• Brain Injury Support Group, meets at 1 p.m. first Thursday of the month at El Centro Medical Clinic, 1235 Eighth St. For more information, call Duane at 505-699-2491 or call the Brain Injury Association of NM Office at 505-292-7414.
• Volunteers needed for Biblioteca de David Cargo located in El Valle Community Center. Plans for the library consist of combining a children’s corner and adult section for lending out reading materials. Volunteering will consist of alphabetizing and sorting books into categories and checking books out. The amount of time volunteering is up to you. Call Deb Seavey the 429-2440 or debseavey @wildblue.net or leave a message at 421-0808.
• A survivors fund has been set up for the families of Gene Hern and Frank Romero. The following are the accounts: Children of Gene Hern, Wells Fargo account number 7040660958 and the widow of Frank Romero, Wells Fargo account number 7040660941.