Submit your calendar items and notices to mlopez@lasvegasoptic.
• Las Vegas Cub Scouts Pack 60 has begun its annual popcorn sales. Cub Scouts is a nonprofit organization that uses the proceeds as a fundraiser. Cub Scouting promotes a boy’s character, citizenship and fitness in a positive and educational manner. To purchase popcorn or for more information, call Ida Sue at 617-0849.
• Grief Support Group meeting from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Mondays at the Presbyterian Church. For more information, call Rosemary Pierson at 425-9299 or 425-7763.
• St. Paul’s Peace Church at the corner of Eighth Street and National is open from noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesdays for prayer and meditation. The labyrinth in front of Faith Hall is open to the public for prayer and meditation every day.
• A Divorce Recovery Group is in the process of forming for people who are divorcing or have been recently divorced. For more information, contact Rosemary Pierson at 425-9299 or Karen Bender at 426-8750 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The city of Las Vegas Utilities Department has re-opened its city utility payment center at City Hall located at 1700 North Grand Ave. The hours of service are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The center is for payments only.
• Fourth Judicial District Court Appointed Special Advocates needs volunteers. The local CASA program is now taking applications for volunteers to work with children who have been removed from their homes because of abuse and neglect. All of these children are currently in state custody and living in foster care.If you are interested in becoming a CASA volunteer, contact Barbara or JoAnn at 454-0223 or visit the CASA office at 1308 Grant St. at the Rodriguez Softball Complex. The office is open mornings only.
• The Guidance and Counseling Program of New Mexico Highlands University is offering counseling services to the community this semester. Call 454-3564 for more information or to make an appointment. The counseling is confidential, free and supervised by the training professor of the Guidance and Counseling Program. The sessions are offered on Thursdays between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
• Habitat for Humanity in Las Vegas is about to start a new house. The organization builds affordable homes for low-income families. If you are interested in helping with the next house (or in some other way), call 454-4434.