Submit your calendar items and notices to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Samaritan House Thrift Store hours: Monday through Friday; the store will be open for sales and to receive donations from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. On Saturdays, personnel will receive donations from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Fourth Judicial District Court Appointed Special Advocates needs volunteers. The local CASA program is now taking applications for volunteers to work with children who have been removed from their homes because of abuse and neglect. Children are in state custody and living in foster care. Call 454-0223 or visit CASA office at 1308 Grant St. at the Rodriguez Softball Complex, mornings.
• The city of Las Vegas Utilities Department has re-opened its utility payment center at City Hall at 1700 North Grand Ave. Hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The center is for payments only.
• Brain Injury Support Group, meets at 1 p.m. first Thursday of the month at El Centro Medical Clinic, 1235 Eighth St. Call Duane at 505-699-2491.
or call the Brain Injury Association of NM Office at 505-292-7414.
• Grief Support Group meeting from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Mondays at the Presbyterian Church. For more information, call Rosemary Pierson at 425-9299 or 425-7763.
• The Guidance and Counseling Program of New Mexico Highlands University offers counseling services to the community. Call 454-3564. The counseling is confidential, free and supervised by the training professor of the Guidance and Counseling Program. Sessions are offered on Thursdays between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
• The Las Vegas Police Department is requesting assistance from business owners to update the department’s emergency contacts. They are requesting all local businesses to fill out an after hours contact form, available at the station and on the city’s website.
• The Las Vegas unit of the American Red Cross helps individuals who have suffered a house fire plus engages in other emergency activities. Meetings are one Tuesday evening a month at 6 p.m. Those interested in becoming volunteers may contact Connie Chavez at 425-6224 or email@example.com.
• The United Community Soup Kitchen at the First United Methodist Church at Eighth Street and National Avenue is open, serving meals from noon to 12:45 p.m. on Thursdays.
• St. Paul’s Peace Church at Eighth and National is open from noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesdays for prayer and meditation.