Submit your calendar items and notices to email@example.com
• Lions Club Glasses Collection Boxes are at the following locations. Banks: Southwest Capital, Community 1st, Douglas Ave and Legion Park; Wells Fargo; State Employees Credit Union. Opticians’ offices: Wal-Mart, Eye Associates, Mills Ave; Insight Optical, Highway 518. Also at Shoes ‘n Boots, Seventh Street. Used glasses are repaired then donated to charity groups serving those in need around the world.
• Casa de Samaritan Homeless shelter at 716 Grand Ave. is operating every night, providing meals, laundry and hot showers from 6 to 8:30 p.m. From November through March, the shelter is open for overnight stays. Their Thrift Store, at Seventh and Legion, offers vouchers for clothing, bedding, etc. Samaritan House offers a food pantry distribution every second and fifth Wednesday. Applications for rental services for those who may qualify are available. Call 454-1390.
• Fourth Judicial District Court Appointed Special Advocates needs volunteers. The local CASA program is taking applications for volunteers. Call CASA at 454-0223 or visit the office to work with children who have been removed from their homes because of abuse and neglect. Children are in state custody and living in foster care.
• The San Miguel County DWI Safe-Ride-Home Service operates from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Rides are provided in the Las Vegas area from liquor establishments to your home, for service call 429-0336.
• The Las Vegas Total Community Approach Program is available to help anyone with a drug and alcohol problem get the help and treatment they need. The program provides free drug and alcohol evaluations and help paying for treatment for anyone who qualifies.