Submit your calendar items and notices to email@example.com
• Free 2012 Tax Returns – federal and state — will be prepared for low- and middle-income taxpayers by Certified AARP Tax-Aide Volunteers. No complicated filings. Do not have to be retired or an AARP member to receive services. Seven days and evenings are scheduled at NM Highlands University, 903 Baca St. (at 9th Street) between Feb. 14 and April 14. Call for an appointment at 505-425-6261 or 479-466-5161.
• The San Miguel County DWI Safe-Ride-Home Service operates Wednesday through Saturday from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Rides are provided throughout San Miguel County from liquor establishment to your home, for service call 505-429-0336.
• Fourth Judicial District Court Appointed Special Advocates needs volunteers. The local CASA program is now taking applications for volunteers to work with children who have been removed from their homes because of abuse and neglect. Children are in state custody and living in foster care. Contact Barbara or JoAnn at 454-0223 or visit CASA office at 1308 Grant St. at the Rodriguez Softball Complex, mornings only.
• The Guidance and Counseling Program of New Mexico Highlands University is offering counseling services to the community this semester. Call 454-3564 for information or to make an appointment. The counseling is confidential, free and supervised by the training professor of the Guidance and Counseling Program. The sessions are offered on Thursdays between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
• Grief Support Group meeting from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Mondays at the Presbyterian Church. For more information, call Rosemary Pierson at 425-9299 or 425-7763.
• Volunteers needed for Biblioteca de David Cargo located in El Valle Community Center. Plans for the library consist of combining a children’s corner and adult section for lending out reading materials. Volunteering will consist of alphabetizing and sorting books into categories and checking books out. Call Deb Seavey the 429-2440. or firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 421-0808.
• Samaritan House provides shelter, food and other services to local homeless people. For more information, call 454-1350 or 454-1390.
• The Las Vegas Police Department is requesting assistance from business owners to update the department’s emergency contacts. They are requesting all local businesses to fill out an afterhours contact form to better serve the community. Forms are available at the station and on the city’s website.