Highlands’ Fiona James outkicked everyone else to win the women’s 400-meter dash at the University of New Mexico’s spring Lobo Opener this past Saturday in Albuquerque.
And UNM frosh Marin Schweigert, who won state titles in the event for Robertson, claimed the top prize in the high jump.
James’ time of 59.7 seconds was the only one under a minute in the event, which included runners from Division I UNM and New Mexico State, as well as NMHU’s Courtney Lewis (sixth, 1:03.97) and Sessyon Crawford (eighth, 1:09.02).
James also placed fourth in the 200 in a time of 25.84.
Schweigert cleared 5-4.25 in the high jump, a full 4 inches better than her closest foe.
Other NMHU highlights:
• Shanoaleigh Roseby (second, 5-0.25) and Kim Vandergeest (fourth, 4-10.25) in the high jump.
• Bhupinder Sandu, second in the triple jump, 33-11.5.
• Robertson High alumnus Brieanna Roper, third in the 800-meter run, 2:29.91.
• Ebonee Carter (third, 39-3), Larissa Bookout (eighth, 33-8.5), Victoria Dominguez (ninth, 32-3) and Iman Brown (10th, 29-8) in the shot put.
• Candace St. Louis, fourth in the 60-meter dash, 7.89 seconds.
• Carter (fourth, 43-10.75), Dominguez (sixth, 41-8), in the weight throw.
• Kim Vandergeest, fifth in the 60-meter hurdles, 10.3.
• Ashley Lovato (seventh, 11:52.66), Sandra Martinez (eighth, 11:53.6), Reyna Montaño (ninth, 11:56.6) in the 3K run.
• Angella Graham (eighth, 16-1), Shanea Anderson (10th, 15-9.5), Bhupinder Sandhu (15-1.25) and Vandergeest (13th, 13-10.5) in the long jump.
• Arianna Adreatta (14th, 27.45) and Anderson (15th, 27.74) in the 200.
• James, Graham, St. Louis and Sherry Ann Baggoo, fourth in the 1,600-meter relay, 4:17.14.
The Lobo Opener was the first of six UNM events and 13 total meets, including the 2010 Mountain West Conference Championships and USA Indoor Championships, on tap this winter at the Albuquerque Convention Center.
The meet also marked the spring debut for NMHU and head coach Bob DeVries.