Submitted to the Optic
During the 29th Season, Music from Angel Fire’s Young Artist Program will once again feature outstanding young musicians from the Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia. This year, the Festival is pleased to have a total of nine musicians in residence: the Manet String Quartet, Quartet la Colombe and composer Daniel Temkin. Many of these talented young professionals study during the year with Festival Artistic Director/violinist Ida Kavafian, violist Steven Tenenbom and cellist Peter Wiley at the Curtis Institute of Music and have been chosen for their exceptional musical talents.
In addition to studying with Festival artists and performing with them in several of the scheduled Music from Angel Fire concerts, these young professionals will give 26 complimentary concerts and lecture demonstrations for students in 17 area schools in northern New Mexico as part of Music from Angel Fire’s Music in Our Schools program. Special “hands-on” demonstration programs have been specifically designed for elementary and junior high school students. Works by Young Composer-in-Residence Daniel Temkin will also be performed during the Festival, including a world premiere to be performed on Sunday, September 2 in Angel Fire entitled Myths and Legends for Strings which will be performed by six of the Young Artists together with Laurence Glazener on double bass.
The Music in Our Schools program is in addition to Music from Angel Fire’s complimentary Family/ Youth concerts taking place on at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 29 at the Taos Community Auditorium, and at 10 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 30 at the Eagle Nest Elementary/ Middle School. The program for these concerts will include Andre Caplet’s Conte fantastique after Edgar Allan Poe’s Masque of the Red Death featuring Karen Lindquist on harp. A special complimentary concert will also be performed by these young professionals for the students at the United World College in Montezuma on Monday, Aug. 27. All of these special programs enhance Music from Angel Fire’s continuing commitment to the education and development of young audiences.
The Music from Angel Fire Young Artist and Music in Our Schools programs are supported by the Lenfest Foundation, Albert I. Pierce Foundation, Phillips Foundation, Harold N. Tenenbom Educational Fund, Thistlewood Foundation, McCune Charitable Foundation, Chevron Questa Mine, Phil Long Toyota, Walmart Foundation and the Angel Fire Community Foundation.
Music in Our Schools Artists
Manet String Quartet Quartet la Colombe Daniel Temkin, composer
Rebecca Anderson, violin; Luosha Fang, violin
Maia Cabeza, violin; Eunice Kim, violin
Ayane Kozasa, viola; Jessica T. Chang, viola
Jeonghyoun Christine Lee, cello; Gabriel Cabezas, cello
(subject to change)
• August 20; 9:30 – 11:45 a.m. Peñasco Elementary (3 concerts)
• August 21; 12:35 – 2:15 p.m. Kearny Elementary, Raton (2 concerts)
• August 21; 12:30 – 2:15 p.m. Raton Middle and High School (2 concerts)
• August 22; 2 – 3:30 p.m. Moreno Valley High School (2 concerts)
• August 23; 11 – 11:45 a.m. Cimarron Elementary School (1 concert)
• August 23; 1:00 – 2:30 p.m. Eagle Nest Elementary School (2 concerts)
• August 24; 1 – 1:45 p.m. Don Cecilio Martinez Elementary, Las Vegas (1 concert)
• August 24; 1 – 1:45 p.m. Sierra Vista Elementary, Las Vegas (1 concert)
• August 24; 2 – 2:45 p.m. Legion Park Elementary, Las Vegas (1 concert)
• August 24; 2 – 2:45 p.m. Tony Serna Jr. Elementary, Las Vegas (1 concert)
• August 27; 9:50 – 11:25 a.m. Mora Elementary School (2 concerts)
• August 27; 3 – 4 p.m. United World College, Las Vegas (1 concert)