Jayvis Medrano’s senior season as a West Las Vegas wrestler began with a dominant performance Saturday in Los Lunas.
Medrano, a 171-pounder for the Dons and coach Robert Alarcon, went 4-0 in the Tiger Invitational, which served as West’s season-opening event.
Medrano is considered a state contender and a team leader for the green and gold grapplers.
WLV heavyweight Brandon Chavez compiled a 3-1 record in the tourney, as did eighth grader Chris Lujan. Lujan also excelled earlier in the week during the West Las Vegas Middle School Jamboree.
The Dons will compete in Capital’s tournament this Friday and Saturday in Santa Fe, as will the debuting Robertson Cardinals and head coach Richard Martinez.
• • •
A breakdown of how New Mexico Highlands wrestlers fared in the Bob Smith Open on Saturday in Hays, Kans.:
• 125 lbs.: Anthony Bermudez went 1-2. Bermudez pinned Jacob Burke, HC, in 2:59, then lost 5-2 against Ty Fittje, LCC. He lost 4-1 to Jared Wilmert of MU.
• 133 lbs.: Devin Bruce scored a 19-9 major decision over Sam Vice of MU, then lost 5-1 against Stephen Weimer of Nebraska-Kearney. He then lost via technical fall, 18-2, opposite Jose Sanchez of PCC.
Jeremy Macias went 0-2, losing via pinfall in 2:52 to Dustin Reed of OU, then coming up on the short end of a 19-3 technical fall against Nick Schenk of OSU.
Donovan Troup went 1-2. The Cowboy wrestling veteran lost a 7-4 verdict against Cody Cole of Western State. Troup beat Vice 7-2 but lost to Corey Johnson of Adams State by a 6-3 count.
• 149 lbs.: Benito Martinez went 0-2. Martinez lost a 15-7 major decision to Michael Perez of LCC, then got pinned in 1:43 by Jared Schroeder of CCC.
• 157 lbs.: NMHU mainstay Trey Saxon went 2-2. Saxon opened with two close victories — a 5-4 upset of Austin Standage of UCO and an 8-7 squeaker vs. Parker Madl of OU. Adams State’s Daniel Kelly pinned Saxon at the 4:59 mark of their quarterfinal match. Saxon then lost via pin (in 2:42) to Alec Williams of Air Force Academy.
• 165 lbs.: Mark Martinez went 0-2. Martinez suffered an 18-1 technical fall against Briston Brenton of Chadron State, then lost another tech, 15-0, to Eden Bernstein of UCO.
Caleb Wyatt went 0-2, losing 6-4 opposite Zach Frazier of Western State before getting tagged in a 14-1 major decision vs. John Hambleton of LCC.
Travis Saxon went 0-2. He fell 5-2 to second-seeded Jameon Rush of HC, then got pinned in 3:40 by Sean Datte of OU.
• 184 lbs.: Andrew Roden, another Cowboy veteran, went 0-2. Roden drew a tough opener and was pinned in 3:15 by No. 1 seed Charlie Pipher of Western State. He then lost an 8-7 nailbiter against Mike Swanson of Nebraska-Kearney.
• 197 lbs.: Justin Wilmas went 0-2. Wilmas fell 8-2 to Lovelle Mondaine of OU, then got pinned in 3:28 by Jon Wilbourne of MU.
• 285 lbs.: Louis Thornton went 0-2, losing 4-0 to Chadron State’s R.J. Boylan, then getting pinned by Ricky Valdez of NWTC.
R.K. Rockhill also went 0-2. Rockhill fell 5-4 to UNO’s Zack Wilcox, then lost via major decision against Bentley Alsup of the Air Force.
Highlands’ wrestlers and head coach Doug Moses will be off until Jan. 4 when they host Chadron State.