Local band Los Tropicales, in its first-ever submission to the The New Mexico Hispano Entertainers Association, has been nominated seven times in four categories.
Their CD, “Crossing Borders,” has been a regional success since its release in 2007, and their numerous performances throughout New Mexico have been enthusiastically received. Performing on the CD are Mike Romero on vocals and guitars, Leroy “Pato” Lucero on vocals, bass and percussion, Lee Norman Gonzales on vocals, guitar and saxophones, Steve Leger on trumpet, flute, piccolo and percussion.
Guest musicians on “Crossing Borders” are Ralph Marquez on drums and percussion and Emily Maestas on lead and background vocals.
The group received the following nominations:
• Michael Romero, engineer of the year for the song “Guantanamera”
• Los Tropicales, song of the year, for their songs “Guantanamera,” “Amor,” and “Dulce Amor”
• Lee Norman Gonzales, male vocalist of the year, for the song “Los Dos”
• Michael Romero, male vocalist of the year, for the song “Amor.”
• Los Tropicales, compact disc of the year, for their CD, “Crossing Borders.”
The New Mexico Hispano Entertainers Association will hold its 10th Anniversary, 2008 Annual Award Show on Saturday, Oct. 18, at the Albuquerque Convention Center. Doors will open at 6 p.m. with a cocktail, mix n’ mingle hour, the Award Show will begin at 7 p.m.
The mission of the NMHEA is to honor, promote, present and preserve the New Mexico Hispanic performer, group or entertainment entity; and to preserve and promote Hispanic cultures in New Mexico; both in the traditional sense of our elders and the contemporary sense of our youth.
Tickets are now available on the NMHEA’s website at www.nmhea.com for $20. Tickets can also be purchased via telephone by calling 505.899.3888.