I am writing to you and the readers of the Optic today to let you know that April is Counseling Awareness Month!
Were you aware that:
• There are more than 600,000 professional counselors working in educational, mental health, community agency, private practice and other related human service settings all across the nation — with many of us right here in Las Vegas and San Miguel County.
• Professional counselors work with human growth and development issues and problems of people at all life stages, from childhood through the senior years.
• Professional counselors work alongside psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, substance abuse counselors and other colleagues in the helping professions.
• The American Counseling Association is the largest professional association for professional counselors in the wold, representing 42,000 members. More information about professional counseling and ACA can be found at www.counseling.org.
• In New Mexico, the New Mexico Counseling Association is the professional association for counselors at the state level. More information about NMCA can be found at www.nmca-nm.org.
It is our hope that readers of the Optic will take a moment to thank counselors for all of their hard work — throughout the year, not just in April! And, that readers seeking more information about counseling will check out the two websites referred to above.
And on a related note: May will be Mental Health Month. The National Alliance on Mental Illness has more information on various activities that will be happening locally and across the country to focus attention on mental health. More information about NAMI can be found at www.nami.org.
Paul David Fornell
Past president, NMCA
Chair-elect, Western Region,
American Counseling Association