.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Ex-cop pleads no contest in attack

-A A +A
By David Giuliani

A former Las Vegas police officer has pleaded no contest to a charge that he attacked another man at a bar during a Christmas party.

Steven Gutierrez, 25, who left the police force months ago, entered a plea agreement to a misdemeanor charge of aggravated battery, according to court records. The charge was reduced from aggravated battery whereby death or great bodily harm could be inflicted.

He was placed on a year’s supervised probation. Among other conditions, he is supposed to undergo a psychological examination, resulting in a written report that must be turned into the probation office in 45 days.

Gutierrez signed the agreement June 24.

He had been off-duty on the night of Dec. 16, 2006, when he got into a brawl while attending a police union Christmas party at Dick’s bar.

As a result of the fight, the victim, Hank Segura, the city’s off-duty safety officer, was airlifted to an Albuquerque hospital. He has said he suffered from head injuries.

The city police investigated the fight for the first couple of hours but turned it over to the state police because they said they wanted an independent agency to handle the matter.

The police placed Gutierrez on paid leave for a number of months.

District Attorney Richard Flores sent the case to Santa Fe prosecutors after he determined that one of his employees, Desiree Medina, Segura’s girlfriend, was a witness.

In May 2007, Segura, who remains at City Hall, was charged with aggravated domestic battery after allegedly trying to suffocate a woman. He later pleaded guilty to that crime, according to online court records.