.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

City consolidation to be commemorated

-A A +A
By The Staff

For most Las Vegans the year 1970 is remembered as the year that two became one — when West and East came together as the city of Las Vegas.

What many do not know is that for a brief period in the late 1800s — 1882 to 1884 — a single municipality also existed.

That fact, and the subsequent effort to bring the entities back together, will be commemorated with the dedication of a new exhibit sign to be placed at the Gallinas River Bridge.

The ceremony will be held at noon Saturday as a part of the Las Vegas Citizens Committee for Historic Preservation’s Heritage Week. Activities are scheduled for the next several days and will culminate with the sign dedication and the popular Places With a Past Historic Home tour.

City officials will be on hand for the dedication, and CCHP wants to recognize the members of the City Consolidation Committee at the event. The committee consisted of then-Town Mayor Fidel “Chief” Gonzales, Judge Joe Angel, Luis Ortiz, Sam F. Vigil; then-City Mayor Ben Lingnau, John “Sandy” Detterick, John S. Johnson, Jake Padilla, Glenn McCoy, Floyd Chavez and Lynn Perrigo adviser.

CCHP asks that any of those individuals, or members of their families, contact CCHP at 425-8803 if they will be able to attend the event so that they can be acknowledged.