.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Blaze destroys two mobile homes

-A A +A
By David Giuliani

A fire destroyed two mobile homes on Sheridan Road on Monday night, officials said.

San Miguel County Fire Marshal Russell Pacheco said the owners of the homes were remodeling them. He said they built a fire in a wood stove and then left to a nearby house, where they were staying.

The fire happened around 7 p.m about two miles south of the KOA Campground on Sheridan Road.

“The wood stove caught the house on fire. No one was living in the mobile homes,” Pacheco said.

He said the home was owned by a members of the Urioste family.

The Tecolote Volunteer Fire Department was the first to respond, followed by the Gallinas and Sheridan volunteer departments, Pacheco said.

It took longer for the Sheridan department members to respond to the blaze because they were out of their district, the marshal said.

Pacheco said the fire serves as a warning that residents should be careful not to overfill their wood stoves.

“There are certain guidelines to follow with wood stoves,” he said.