2 boarding home tenants found dead

-A A +A

Carbon monoxide suspected

By Martin Salazar

Two New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute patients who were released into the care of a local boarding home were found dead last week, and state police are investigating.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected.

State police Sgt. Emmanuel Gutierrez confirmed Tuesday that uniform officers were dispatched to Ning Road in Las Vegas at 2:43 a.m. this past Thursday. Ning Road is off of north Seventh Street heading toward Storrie Lake.

The officers were asked to go to the residence in reference to two deceased males.

Gutierrez identified the deceased males as Alex Montoya, 61 and Cochise Bayhan, 56.

“Both were released from NMBHI into the care of Encinias Boarding Home,” Gutierrez said. “The home was required to provide shelter and food.”

A local fire department measured carbon monoxide levels in the residence at 183 parts per million. According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, sustained carbon monoxide concentrations above 150 to 200 parts per million can cause disorientation, unconsciousness and even death.

“Both subjects were transported to (the Office of the Medical Investigator) in Albuquerque, and we are awaiting exact results of death,” Gutierrez said. “This case is still ongoing.”

State police released no further details.

Carbon monoxide is a deadly, colorless and odorless gas. According to the safety commission, it is produced by the incomplete burning of fuels like coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane and natural gas.